Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The intereting thing is, the safer our lives become the more many of us doubt it. We now have a situation in the UK where to be 100 years of age is no longer rare. Constantly we are told our NHS health system is no good. That seems not to be true. It is said the people we have alive now might be the longest lived we will ever have. They had the advanatge of the war when food was strictly calculated. It is said it actually gave the poor for the first time ever the right food. The slight restriction of food input is said to be ideal. I just can't do it. Exercise is'nt the answer as the oxygen has be taken in to burn up the food. Some fail to see that. In fact more than a certain level of exercise might be worse than what some see as not enough.

One thing I have really have enjoyed in this thread is to change a little how I see the world ( it's still a sphere to me ). Very few things I know are hard facts. I have to have faith in what I am told. These days I always say " I do believe that's true, however I was'nt there to see it ". You should see peoples faces when I do. It is the right thing to say because the last bit is fact.

There is something relating to faith you can test. Is what it says workable for you. Many ideas are about being fair, which can full circle include yourself. People ask me do a I believe this or that story form history. I don't need to, I just test how it would work for me. I can be wrong. Better wrong than not wanting to know or care. Atheist or Theist the test is the same.

Yes I understand ,it's really the "evolution" particulary in the moral sense...

Don't fix your attention too much on the armament, the global human industry is a vast carnage, in 1900 the average life expectancy of a metallurgist hard worker was around 30 years.
(I have some literature... but it is in French)

PS : a vast majority of puddlers were killed by cerebral concussions due to the heat just after the young adult age... the technical evolution of metallurgy has stopped this carnage.

Here is a thing. Whilst no one would ever want to do this it is an interesting idea. Best I know it Venus is about 450C at the surface and 97 atmosphere. There is a point perhaps 55 000 feet up where it is 20C and 1 atmosphere. Someone speculated that an air filled balloon could sit there and all would be ideal for use to survive. This is the sort of thing Flat Earth people just don't want to know as by simple deduction Earth being a sphere is the only logical way to think of it. Perhaps they see Earth as unique and super valid.

In the fullness of time we might get to understand Earth is unique. Unlike light our mass is vast and light speed travel might need more power than is easy to harvest even for a one off. This limitation should be universal. If so if Aliens exist they more likely live coaxially with us. One theory I looked at, the Philidelphia experiment was said to show paralell universes. The believers think our use of A-bombs sent a message out to these nearby places. As unlikely as it seems I would give it a small chance. For a while I was asked to suggest the science arround things like this. Mostly I was neither for nor against as that would be rude to the ones that asked. My hinge pin rejection of the story is things if they happened always happened in convenient ways. The ship never turned up on dry land. What I did believe if anything was something was tried and failed. People had bad mental problems who were forced to be there and maybe worse. The one doubt which might have been my idea was a beacon went off. Maybe what we do is dangerous in ways we can't understand to Aliens. Some say transistors come from these Aliens crashing. That seems unlikely as anyone who can cross the barier is unlikely to crash, aircraft don't. That is if it is controllable, maybe a chaotic thing. I found I wasn't asked to do more than a few of these scientific examinations as I usually could find a very large Elephant in the room saying why we should have doubts.

Someone said we advanced 800 years when the transistor came about. The ideas had been put foward in the 1920's. The thing I have doubts about is how the team split very early as they did not want to go with silicon. I like others thought it was almost as if germanium was a stop gap and the future was already known. In most science that is often so, no big deal. Unlike the Flat Earth not being there is 1940-something means I just can not know. The Flat Earth has thousands of reasons to say it's daft. Not these two. In both cases I am 99% sure nothing odd happened, in science 1% is often a vast problem.

Philadelphia Experiment - Wikipedia
The first debate: Is the transistor based on alien technology?, page 1

Belief is a function of the lower functions of the brain. Humans have gray matter (lobes) that allow our cognition to rise above beliefs and prejudices. Rational thought shatters any unfounded beliefs.

We are hard wired by evolution to indulge in many beliefs and prejudices. It has served the purpose of survival very well. But we can also override our beliefs and prejudices, with a little effort. We can choose to be smarter than our beliefs and prejudices allow.

Some people go through their whole lives never engaging their higher cognitive abilities. (I've known several of them personally.) To them I say try it before condemning it.

Belief is a function of the lower functions of the brain. Humans have gray matter (lobes) that allow our cognition to rise above beliefs and prejudices. Rational thought shatters any unfounded beliefs.

We are hard wired by evolution to indulge in many beliefs and prejudices. It has served the purpose of survival very well. But we can also override our beliefs and prejudices, with a little effort. We can choose to be smarter than our beliefs and prejudices allow.

Some people go through their whole lives never engaging their higher cognitive abilities. (I've known several of them personally.) To them I say try it before condemning it.

Sounds mostly made up. Maybe intended to be philosophy?

Its not a summary of science.

Last edited:
Do you know about google scholar? Try it.

Here's a brief article.

New thinking: the evolution of human cognition

Also, read the work of Jean Piaget for a classical background in human cognition study.

Interesting article. It's from evolutionary psychology, which appears to be pretty out of sync with modern cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience. Also, it was published in Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. Probably the best journal they could find to take it, or maybe it is the best for that particular type of philosophy (but not for science). Of all things on the subject area, wonder how might you happened to have come across something like that and missed so much of the mainstream? Something from an article somewhere else? Are you a Social Anthropologist or similar by chance?

The current status of Piaget is that his views have been largely depreciated, certainly over the past 10 years, longer really. Much like with Freud or Jung, experimentalism has almost fully displaced the earlier theorism.

Have you by chance read "Thinking Fast and Slow," By Daniel Kahneman?

Last edited:
I have not heard of that book, but I will look into it, thank you. The author seems to have the proper credentials and is not on a quack list.

I suppose that I did not make my point clearly. We share many cognitive traits with many other animals, most notably mammals. Examples are fear, curiosity, bonding behavior and its related emotions, etc. We for all apparent purposes have almost exactly the same emotions as chimpanzees. These emotions arise from the limbic system, which we share in one form or another with all mammals. We also share memory with mammals and other animals.

We know that this is true because we can observe it on modern MRI brain scans. We can see the same part of the brain lighting up in a wide variety of animals when exposed to stimuli.

Last edited:
Yes, potentially much more to talk about of course. Interestingly, there has been some criticism in recent years regarding possibly inferring too much from f-MRI scans in some kinds of research. Maybe more about that and other things another day. I hope you enjoy Kahneman's book. There are extensive notes and references in the end section, which are highly recommended for the interested reader.

Last edited:
Yes, potentially much more to talk about of course. Interestingly, there has been some criticism in recent years regarding possibly inferring too much from f-MRI scans in some kinds of research. Maybe more about that and other things another day. I hope you enjoy Kahneman's book. There are extensive notes and references in the end section, which are highly recommended for the interested reader.

It remebers me the first experimental treatement to cure for tinnituses, they were using MRI in order to localize the brain zones that was triggered by the tinnituses. Then they were applying (with the aid of a real time IRM) a localized current in the brain in order to "reset" the defective parts of the brain "responsible" of the tinnituses.
Those cures had aggravated the patients pathologies because the brain have made new links (in unexpected zones of the brain) in order to reactivate the tinnituses and the older zones were regenerating within the time...

The most interesting claim of the alien transistor idea is the impurities added and purity of the silicon needed come from nowhere. I suspect that is not true. Hard to find that sort of detail out. It would be the Elephant in the room if we did. Some say the guy who did the work just wasn't able to do work at that level. Mind you, all seemed to dislike him.

The bigger deal is for whatever reason licences to make transistors were freely available for a sensible money. All went their ways and the rest is history or Silicon Valley. Some say the Pentium was from the crash. Consumer electronics fund the steps. As there are secrets for whatever reason we will never know.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
If the alien spacecraft didn't crash to earth we would've developed the transistor anyway just at a later date, probably 100 years. I say this mainly because there were already computers based upon the vacuum tube by the time the transistor came along.

The transistor has saved our society from plummeting over a ravine from catastrophic and unexplained rapid climate change. Without it we wouldn't have noticed the signs at all even up to present day and would have continued on that path for the next 100 years until we become extinct with the air full of lead and carbon.

So was the crash landing at Roswell an accident or was it a gift to try and save our society?

In either case we would've had to have the technology to disassemble and reverse engineer the alien technology and that doesn't sit well with me, I don't think we had that tech in the 1940s-50s.

The idea that the pentium came from the roswell crash is ludicrous but also not out of reasonable explanation. A hardened computer system would require a lot of shielding for it to work in space and so therefore keeping the die size large would cater towards this level of shielding. So a slower more rugged IC would most certainly be necessary in a FTL spacecraft.

However that is blown out of the water by the fact that there would need to be incredibly high technology needed to not only navigate but maintain such a spacecraft. So we can surmise from that fact that the technology which crashed at Roswell, NM is most definitely too small of a die size for us to have been able to disassemble and reverse engineer it in 1940s-50s america.

However, and the only way that I can see that we could've reversed engineered anything from an alien spacecraft, is that we would've found a much larger piece of technology which would've given us the building blocks to start from, such as a switching transistor somewhere in the spacecraft which handles large current.

That is where we would've started. But the idea that the pentium came from alien spacecraft? ludicrous... What about the 386? 486? Little known fact but the Pentium is actually just two 486's side by side...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.