Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:)

Attachments

• redpacificherring.jpg
    redpacificherring.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,927
LATFET - lower Gm, lower input capacitance which is more linear than vertical fets, negative temp coefficient at 150mA - 200mA, different biasing voltages than vertical fets, more expensive

Vertical FET - higher Gm, higher input capacitance which is more non-linear, positive temp coefficient until high currents (10A or so), cheaper, better availability

I was thinking that source degen (not emitter! oops) of vertical would reduce gm to same as lateral, with similar linearity (thanks to degen) and improve thermal stability so as to narrow the differences between the two devices considerably ??

He has spent some time using and testing this Genesic GA10JT12 judging by the last article published. Any chance it will use this transistor? Could be that the last article is a hint on what is to come. It is fun speculating and guessing at least.

I am sure he tests heaps of parts for his designs. I could be wrong, but I interpreted that article as implying reasons why he would NOT use such a part. It goes against all the principles of elegant simplicity and minimalism that is so important to FW and Zen type amplifiers. Too much complexity to get it to work well. Unlike the 2SK77, for instance, about which NP said at BAF 2015 "they give rise to designs that say 'just put me in there with a power supply, and I'll take care of everything else'." BJTs, or whatever type of part that is, don't seem to do that very easily.

I agree also.
However he only purchased those parts approximately 2 months ago, so even if he loved those parts I'm not sure he would ship something out the door that fast. I know Nelson is superman but that would be a bloody super impressive effort, to go from purchasing parts, to testing, to circuit design, to designing pcbs, to listening tests, to refining the circuit, to building and shipping the product for review all in 2 months.

At least I sparked some more speculation. Let's keep Nelson laughing with some more guesses. The quote:

in an idle moment, I tried a variation of the circuit using a new concept and the result was striking, both in terms of measurement and sound. It’s a really different animal.

This confirms it. Nelson got his time machine out spied on my eSCAPEd Goat and added positive feedback to cover his tracks.
We'll see if he has used lateral mosfets (like me) or he has gone the more fearless route with some other device.
Hahahaha

Edit: Now I know the real meaning of Star Trek Education. :D

Last edited: