First Watt F7 review

After more resistor and jfet parameter tweaking of the circuit in post #143 I appear to have achieved even better (simulated) performance than Nelson posted: DF=132, THD=.018%, -3dB@200kHz. These numbers are somewhat meaningless until I can make an actual circuit that is close in performance.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I believe nothing to worry about , if you - as usual - make final Iq setting at temp. equilibrium

thermal runaway is much greater problem in AB class amps with eenyweeny heatsinks , than in A class amps with big chunk of Al

though , you're most probably right , 1058 (and cousin) are more probable candidates , taking in account their neg. TempCo at Iq of interest

Then you can be both. I have examples of just that, although as a pro forma
I always make space on the pc board for them.

:cool:

Yes, I'm not surprised you can do this (still impressed though), but for us dumb dumbs, I don't think it would be a matter of building a circuit without them and expect it to work first go.
It would take a fare amount of trial and error and development time (or sheer luck) to get it to work, which most people here aren't prepared to do.

Is this the reason you spent quite a bit of time on reducing RF and high frequency CD noise?
Or unless you are using a trimpot in a tricky arrangement to achieve gate resistance, biasing, and loading of jfet input (three birds with one stone) and calling it no gate resistance (I can think of an arrangement to achieve this)

NP said the input fets are cascoded, and also that there is only one positive feedback resistor. This resistor connection
would then have to be symmetrical, so it would likely go from the output to the center of the bias circuit for the cascodes.
Also, the output devices are doubled, so there are 8 transistors total per channel.

"I created new printed circuit board artwork, adding cascode operation to the input stage and doubling up the number of output devices.
This version had a little more control, but still fell short. So... I broke the glass on the wall box labeled DESIGN EMERGENCY.
Inside was a single resistor labeled DANGER - POSITIVE FEEDBACK."

You could interpret that a few different ways. You are probably right about the feedback resistor though.
My interpretation was that this was his initial approach, then he decided "there is no challenge in this, even 2 picodumbs can do that (hahahaha). I need to do something different, I am going to build a minimal parts count amp that the cloners won't have a chance in hell of reproducing, muah hahahahaha."
So he stripped it back to a single pair of outputs and got rid of the cascode, removed every part and started reducing RF and high frequency CD noise, then only added back to the circuit what was necessary to make it work.

Last edited:
I just dug around in my mosfet stash and found a pair of j162s and a pair of k1058s. I guess I better start wiring them up.

I didn't mention it earlier but if you absolutely want to match Nelson's harmonics (I don't think it's worth worrying about, it's still low and non-offensive) you can easily achieve it with a trimpot at source or jfets.

Last edited:
I didn't mention it earlier but if you absolutely want to match Nelson's harmonics (I don't think it's worth worrying about, it's still low and non-offensive) you can easily achieve it with a trimpot at source or jfets.

In my simulations I was able to match Nelson's harmonics by reaching into my bag of k170 JFETs and selecting one with just the right Idds, accomplishing the same result as using a trimpot.

At this point my circuit has only 7 resistors. Did Nelson really use only 5?

In my simulations I was able to match Nelson's harmonics by reaching into my bag of k170 JFETs and selecting one with just the right Idds, accomplishing the same result as using a trimpot.

Aaah but did Nelson go for positive or negative phase second harmonic?
Hahahahaha

My recollection is P Channel Jfets (2sj74) has slightly more transconductance than N channel Jfets at same Idss value, and my Lateral mosfets measure higher transconductance on N channel devices giving a strong negative phase 2nd harmonic in this circuit (which is perfectly fine) but is that what Papa has?

I'm not concerned about it, just want to give you a headache. Hahaha :D

Last edited:
Aaah but did Nelson go for positive or negative phase second harmonic?
Hahahahaha

My recollection is P Channel Jfets (2sj74) has slightly more transconductance than N channel Jfets at same Idss value, and my Lateral mosfets measure higher transconductance on N channel devices giving a strong negative phase 2nd harmonic in this circuit (which is perfectly fine) but is that what Papa has?

I'm not concerned about it, just want to give you a headache. Hahaha :D

The F7.pdf article shows negative phase H2 in "Distortion Waveform at 1W/1kHz" plot. And my earlier simulations had negative phase H2 at 22dB above H3. With careful Idss selection I have negative phase H2 at about 9dB higher than H3 and a THD of 0.018%. SIMULATIONS ONLY.