• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

The First One 1.31 is playing :)
I like it more than the 1.2, with the 1.2 there was some aggressive edgy sound with some recordings. Now with the 1.31 that's gone, it sounds more natural, more foottapping :)
It is still not at the holographic detail level as my F5 (CLC) or the Cubie2, maybe the silmics need some burnin, they only got 5 hours of play.
Or maybe that's more a task for the new First One 1.4 :)

Attachments

• IMG_0601s2.jpg
    IMG_0601s2.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 907
Hi Claude,
It's too soon to compare them thorough , the First One 1.31 needs some time before the FB caps (silmics) are settled.
So it still has time to become better.
But for now I would say bass on First One 1.31 is definitely better than F5 (more detailed, controlled), F5 has better mids highs and has the ability to project a 3D holographic sound in my room with my RefSpeakers.

But I like the Cubie2 even better it has all the qualities of the F5 and some more.

But all this may change when the new First One 1.4 is available, according to LC it's much more detailed sounding.

My system is:
fanless PC with foobar (flacs)-> Amanero ES9018 DAC LL1684 -> F5/First One1.31 -> Refspeakers
Volume is now controlled digital in the ES9018, soon to be replaced with an autoformer.

See attachments for a list of testsongs.

Regards,
Danny

Attachments

• Foobar Test Playlist.txt
    11 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Avantgarde Trio's

For lab testing KEF Cresta and Zu audio Soul Supreme.

For sound comparison Avantgarde Trio + Avantgarde Sub horn + two separate subs

and active K+H O 300. :cool:

Ahhh, Avantgarde. I almost bought a demo pair of Trio's but did not pull the trigger. They are, however, still available. Now I might, along with a pair of your boards. Very nice, indeed. I usually build my speakers and find open baffle to be my preference but when I heard the Trio's I realized just how far my speakers were from the performance of the Trio's. Same gear on both pairs and the Trio's simply floored me.

Thank you for such a beautiful layout and design. As well as offering it to the DIY community for really nothing given your time, effort and energy.

Darren

Which Amp?

I have been saving up for the Hypex Nocore 400s for awhile. After many hours of blood, sweat and sleepless days (I work night shift), I can now afford the kits...

Well, as it turns out, I found out there is an NC500, which I can acquire as a fully assembled unit (currently on Swap Meet) with the Hypex input stage for the same price as the BOM of the NC400...

Then, I came across the passionately designed First One. Many of You on this thread have chosen the First One over the NC400 and NC1200. I would really like to dig into your subjective listening impressions on this. (3D sound stage, mid-range body, smooth highs, speed, texture, detail, control, etc.) I think the measurements are great for the mind, what does your heart hear? :hbeat:

I would also be interested in the comparisons between the balanced and unbalanced First Ones with the recommended SMPS. (I may have missed that in this 200+ page thread :eek:, if so, I apologize)

Thanks in advance for your all replies,

Allen ;)

I have the Ncore 400 and the F.O. 1.2. The First One is the winner, It sound nice sweet
, the same as the Linsely the Hood Class A amp , only the First one have much more power in the bottem.

I do not know why but the N core produce more hiss/grain than a other amp, the first one is for me the better amp

Hi Allen and all :wave2:

Hard earned money should be spent wisely and if you're not in a hurry wait a little while, you won't regret it.

First One v1.4 is a totally different story from any previous version up to now, complex topology shaped to perfection. It took me three months to fine tune sound quality, tested on many systems, based on many expert opinions. Four variants compared thoroughly, only the best variant came through, confirmed by many ears to be trusted. I gave myself a lot more time before locked the final schematic, since then there is no way back, no time to fix the mistakes, after the product is launched and released to the public it has to earn confidence of them all.

Today finally the v1.4 PCB is drawn to the last detail and will be send to production.

Kindly ask you all to give me some more time to prepare and pack the modules to be ready to ship worldwide. I'll inform you promptly on any news, post some pics and technical info, etc. Things will go on fast pace schedule from now on.

L.C. :cheers:

Importing question...

W:DW, sounds like the First One v1.4 is "the Cat's Meow!"

Question to anyone who has imported Lazy Cat's modules into the United States:

How much was the importing costs when You received your package? Be sure to include what You ordered, so I have an idea of what to expect. This is too hard to figure out other wise, as so much depends on how stuff is categorized by the sender.

Thanks in advance,

Allen

W:DW, sounds like the First One v1.4 is "the Cat's Meow!"

Question to anyone who has imported Lazy Cat's modules into the United States:

How much was the importing costs when You received your package? Be sure to include what You ordered, so I have an idea of what to expect. This is too hard to figure out other wise, as so much depends on how stuff is categorized by the sender.

Thanks in advance,

Allen
Shipment costs to US is 12 EUR for two modules packed compactly. Import duties - don't have a clue.

Last edited:
Thank you Lazy Cat for all your hard work and effort you put in this module.
It's a true pleasure to hear your passionate about your amplifier modules, to get to the finest quality you can AND a lot of testing with OTHER people's systems, perfect! Respect!
Thanks Ben. This time felt like it's my duty to do the job properly, since I got criticism about being unfair with v1.2, regardless the concept of puting simple CFA topology to certain level of quality. Having FO v1.2, which was eight transistor amp only, I thought it performs in accordance to expectations from the beginning of project, not all shared my opinion, on contrary many were somewhat disappointed. Four stars rating of this thread just proves that. Hopefully last take would be completely different story, sincerely aiming to higher SQ from the same size of module, demanded making complete changeover using much more complex topology, tuned by the ear in the last phase of the project. So yes v1.4 took me more time than expected, some nerves and lots of patience to come to conclusion. Will it be successful, better? Cannot tell myself, time will.

Four stars rating of this thread just proves that.
I don't think there is any correlation between those stars and the quality of your design, More a question of who's who, ot way to communicate.
On my side, If i was interested by those stars, that I never notice, and have NO importance, you would had 6/5 from me for your VSSA. Elegant, and so wonderfully optimized.

(and 0 for your last first one, just because I have no idea of its topology, no schematic, no measurements and no way to can listen to it.)

Friendly.

Last edited: