• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Teezer

LC popped by yesterday with the finalized version of the First one 1.4. Mine version works on 43 Volt version of the hypex power supply. It serves as a testbed for the VSSA replacement, the First One S.

While waiting for the propper enclosure (Black mamba with VU meters) I have it setup the same as the last years 1.2. On the board with the heatsinks.

What can I say about the sound. So far complete neutrality. It keeps composure of the recording no matter what. The way it drives my Thiel speakers in the bass department is ... just have to listen and verify for yourself.

I have to be careful now because my foot is tapping so much and too often. Not to injure myself. Or make a hole on the floor :D.

Do I have to go to work today? Or have to listen more?

Attachments

• Fo1.4 1.jpeg
    Fo1.4 1.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 594
  • Fo1.4 2.jpg
    Fo1.4 2.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 576
As far as I'm concern for now SMPS1200A180, 400 and 700 are highly recommended. They have soft start, 115/230 V mains selector, auxilary voltages +/-12 V regulated, shutdown function and they're very reliable. Warranty works - in a case of a falure you get new SMPS.

Power supply and dimensions:

First One S: 50 x 60 mm, +/-40-63 V (SMPS1200A180 or SMPS1200A400)

First One M: 50 x 100 mm, +/-40-63 V (SMPS1200A180 or SMPS1200A400)

First One L: 50 x 160 mm, +/-50-85 V (SMPS1200A400 or SMPS1200A700)

If someone find better SMPS for the price/performance please take a try.

Regards, L.C. :cheers:

Very wise decision, upgrade to v1.4 will transfer you to another world, guaranteed. Silence here doesn't mean nothing's happening behind the scenes, on contrary, latest eight modules from the test series above, have been molested, beaten to death, but surprisingly all survived and passed the test period successfully. So I guess now's the time to start the real series as befits.

Mmmmh "beaten to death", "but surprisingly all survived" that does sound a bit Biblical to me.... But having listening to my V1.3 with great pleasure and thereby I have "faith" in your skills Lazycat. So I do "believe" it is possible that the V1.4 could be even better than the V1.3...

I wonder If it helps to have "faith" in the Lottery...so I can buy Lots of them...

R.

But having listening to my V1.3 with great pleasure and thereby I have "faith" in your skills Lazycat. So I do "believe" it is possible that the V1.4 could be even better than the V1.3...

Is it possible?!

First One v1.3 doesn't stand a chance against v1.4, both in a different league.

Up to now probably it was not clear enough, v1.3 & v1.4 topologies are diametrically opposite, totally different stuff, v1.3 concept rely on simplicity, topology consist of all together 8 transistors, on contrary v1.4 is based on complex CFA topology made out of 26 transistors, lots of CCS, IC, etc. all together almost 40 semiconductors located on both sides of PCB. I had much more work to do to "convince" the electronic parts to cooperate to represent the music in a way not heard before. What that means in reality I won't explain with words, rather will be reserved as an opinion gathered from each other's experiences, published here later in the process.

Well technical I really qualify as "Noob" and have to rely on the experts. But even then "the real life experience" could be very different for each of us.

So I appreciate it when (my) "Experts" write "What that means in reality I won't explain with words". This together with my personal V1.3 experience makes me more then curious about the V1.4 and leave the experience with me". So, only 1 thing remains.. having some luck in the Lottery.

R.

Well technical I really qualify as "Noob" and have to rely on the experts. But even then "the real life experience" could be very different for each of us.

So I appreciate it when (my) "Experts" write "What that means in reality I won't explain with words". This together with my personal V1.3 experience makes me more then curious about the V1.4 and leave the experience with me". So, only 1 thing remains.. having some luck in the Lottery.

R.
Don't worry. I have 2 FO1.2 and 2 FO1.4. I don't wish to go back. FO 1.4 is really fantastic.

I was able to listen to all 1.4 prototypes and it was really a long way and lots of work from LC. The last one goes to the way of really high level of neutrality and transparency. It plays all the little details, I can hear new stuff all the time in all the albums. This is especially welcome in classical music recordings. It makes more sense.

Since 1.4 and 1.2/1.3 are so different. 1.2/1.3 give you a nice feeling of what LC was able to get from simple design. Some of the 1.4 developments could be implemented in 1.2/1.3 without increasing complexity of the PCB. I don't think it will happen though.

About the lottery. Just buy 2. It will be enough or wait for the S. I believe that one will be for the audio purists.

Last edited:
Local machinery produce this C1 black chassis (Black Mamba) in accordance to my orders placed, backed up with some real currency behind. It's perfect match for First One S, M or L modules in dual mono, together with two SMPS1200 power supplies.
DC sense is a passive DC detector PCB located at speaker's terminals, connected to SMPS1200. In a case of DC failure it shutsdown SMPS preventing speakers from disastrous moments.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg