Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jims said:
Kanifee

Check out this PDF, put together by algar_emi. Also you can use Peter's document from an early post to make the capacitor changes. I recall seeing a UK distributor of Blackgates when I was searching the web.

Any takers on my question about capacitors for the citizen crystal, a couple of posts up?

JimS

I'm not using any caps in my RCEZ32 based unit with the citizen crystal - no problems so far. My understanding is Peter isn't either.
There is enough capacitance in the chip's oscillator circuitry apparently to obviate the need for external caps.

I used both PK and standard parts in mine, PK where space was an issue and standard everywhere else. Peter I think recommends the FK series.

Got my caps, crystal etc from Peter, he sent them over very quickly and made my life easy. Could be the easiest Uk option.

Don't forget blackgate burn in time, I'm yet to hook this up to my DAC (in progress) but have had the transport powered up for ages to cook em a bit.

The PDF was very useful, just be careful with smd caps under the heatsink as indicated. They'll shift with patience.

Iain

I noticed an improvement with the citizen crystal. Music seemed smoother (less granularity) and the dynamics seemed stronger, but I am no expert. I used 10pF silver-micas from each leg to ground. Did not try without the caps.

I am thinking about trying an external clock, like Kwak clock. I know that the output of the external clock goes to the XIN pin (61) on the DSP. I guess I am not sure what XOUT is? Also, can't quite figure out from the datasheet what the voltage max and min is for XIN. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

JimS

Thanks Kevin,

I realize that XOUT is not necessary with an external clock. I am interested in understanding what XOUT is. I have been reading a lot about crystals and clocks and can't quite figure this out. I think it applies a voltage at a certain resonance to basically start and keep the crystal oscillating. I may be missing something fundamental....

JimS

Great today my AWSR superregulator arrived...

I can hardly wait....to unpack my present..and listen...:Present:

Attachments

• superregulator.jpg
    superregulator.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,689
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jims said:
Thanks Kevin,

I realize that XOUT is not necessary with an external clock. I am interested in understanding what XOUT is. I have been reading a lot about crystals and clocks and can't quite figure this out. I think it applies a voltage at a certain resonance to basically start and keep the crystal oscillating. I may be missing something fundamental....

JimS

Xout provides the drive to the crystal which is inside a feedback loop comprising a buffer (non-inverting gate) a few passive components and the crystal.

This app note explains it rather well:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-340.pdf

BG F 1000uf 35v

Hii

Just to share the BG F 1000uf 35v

For diyer who likes Peters Mods, I have 5 of BGF
I sell this cause can help me build this transport

I sell @ US 50, Paypal receive include std mail cost
(just sell 4pcs of BGF 1000uf 35v)

Please email me if you interested, thank you
regards

changed pwr supply

Hello again
Replaced my fried unit with another as the 51 is quite easy to get in the uk.
Great sound, a real upgrade from my modified ld player. Have just put in a much more complex power supply that i have an option to buy of a friend of mine. A board normally used for supplying a cdpro kit. The result is that the sound is now like a bland, ordinary cd player - it really is black magic - most other things make sense when you think about them for a bit, but not audio.
change back

changed pwr supply etc.

Hi again
I had an adjustable regulator that I had hard wired. It was in a tight space and some of the wires touched putting out too high a voltage. The transformer I was using also had higher secondaries than required and so the problem was waiting to happen. It still read the toc and played discs but I could not get anything out of the dig out.
I should have added your question for clarity but I don't know how, sorry!
There seems to be two piles, those that work, eventually, and those that we were not careful enough with.
Regards

WOW.....:bigeyes:

Yesterday we installed the ALWSR super reg.....this is modification bigtime !!!!!

With the analogue character preserved the soundstage, resolution, dynamics received a whole next level...thrilling this stays in for the chip combo.....for me and in my set it surpasses now my Wadia...full stop.....

This evening I will order a second regulator one to feed my clock...:cool:

THANK YOU JAMES.....

Attachments

• boards.jpg
    boards.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,454