Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

I think I inadvertently caused some confusion, so let me clarify:

The spider-mod, or any similar mod I suggested, has only one aim, which is to improve the sound quality. If all you want is some means to clamp the CD, then you two much simpler solutions:
a) buy the 3-ball type SF-P101N CD mech (cheap and widely available from eBay and HiFi spares shops)
b) dig up an old/broken/unwanted Sanyo/JVC boombox - there is a very high chance that it has a Shiga-compatible puck, as most of their boomboxes shared the same mech.

uncle_leon

I understood what you where suggesting. And there are many ways to approach the whole CD Turntable clamping and interface issues.

Regarding the 3 Ball CD Turntable, the only source I found is from a UK source, SANYO LASER LENS SF-P101N DA11B3VF (16P)...
SANYO LASER LENS SF-P101N DA11B3VF (16P) W/MECHANISM SFP101N | eBay

Not everyone is going to be able to afford to swap out the whole transport.
What most of us have, or will be getting from Tibi, is the CD Turntable designed for a magnet CD Clamp. As noted, there are some significant issues with swapping CD Turntable designed for the magnet, for the 3 Ball CD Turntable without damage to the motor shaft, or the motor. Not everyone is going to be able to do that swap, even assuming they find a suitable 3 Ball CD Turntable donor. The best solution for most folks is going to be using a magnet for clamping, either from a donor transport, making their own, or buying a magnet clamp from Tibi.

That is not to say that the magnet, or for that matter, just about anything that clamps the CD down, is going to have some effect on the sound, good or bad.

Anyway, I am still playing with the magnet and just a weight. I am also considering a threaded insert in the CD Turntable and a low mass clamp. As I find options that I think everyone can do, I will post them with detail on the materials, sources, and how to do them.

BTW...nice idea coming up with spider silk as a medium for holding down a CD!

I am not sure what you mean about people not being able to afford to swap out the transport?... If you already have an "old" Shiga, then you presumably have a puck, so you are fine. And if you are getting a Shiga kit from Tibi (and want to avoid the hassle with the puck) - just order the 3-ball mech version, and Bob's your uncle... Am I missing something?...:scratch1:

Swapping turntables is possible, but only really makes sense if you want a custom screw-on puck, such as in Peter Daniel's or woodturner_fran's Shigaclones. If you just want the 3-ball clamp, then simply order the right mech...

Perhaps I am the one missing something.

I was unaware that Tibi was offering the Shiga with the 3-ball clamp option as he has been designing a magnet CD Clamp for the units he is building, which lead to all the discussion about CD Clamp options, some of it from Tibi.

Tibi...is it possible to get a 3-ball clamp SF-P101N DA11B3VF version in the tested and ready to run units you are shipping?

Hi Steven,

The DIY kits are ready for shipping and will be shipped next week.
For Full Shiga kits I wait for pin connectors. Yep, a small part but must be there. :)
Ready mounted and tested kits are under heavy work.
Each delivery will be announced by mail with a copy of Postage receipt and status marked in GB list.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Threaded insert for CD Turntable

As per Tibi's note above, the CD Turntable designed for the magnet CD Clamping is what will be shipped. So a magnet is the easy solution for holding the CD in place, and the $3 magnet solution I mentioned in earlier post will get the job of clamping the CD down just fine.

I have been looking for readily available options to allow using a threaded insert in the CD Turntable designed for the magnet. The hole diameter in the Turntable samples I have is 6.03 mm, or .239" in diameter. The hole depth is 4.75 mm or .187".

In the US, there is Aluminum .250" diameter rod available with an 8-32 threaded center hole available...I am still looking for a 6 mm rod with a metric tapped center. This material is available in various lengths and I used one that was 1 inch long.

What I did was place the rod in a drill chuck. In my case, I have a drill press, but a regular drill would do just fine. With some care, the reduced rod area and threaded hole is perfectly concentric with the CD Turntable's rotational center line. I used a file reduce the rod OD just enough to get a snug fit into the hole in the CD Turntable. There are any number of epoxies that are suitable for holding the thread rod insert in place.

In my case, I am considering leaving about 3 or 4 mm of the inserted rod above the CD Turntable taper, which will allow using the rod to center the Clamp.

The problem then is the shaping of the CD Clamp. Not having a lathe, I would need to find someone to machine the Clamp. I am still not sure what the Clamp material will be, but the lighter the better and about 25 to 30 mm OD. Delrin, ABS and other rod materials are available that would work.

Grungebuster mat?

Here's another idea (maybe):).

What about trying one of these:
Hi-End CD Mats from Herbie's Audio Lab
I've got an old 2" white grungebuster mat that still works well after the occasional clean. The side that attached to the CD does not use adhesives (uses a "unique carbon microfiber-filled elastomer") so possibly glue the non sticky side to the shig base and attach the CD. It probably might involve cutting up the mat to get a smaller surface area to attach the CD as it may be hard to remove the CD if the whole mat is used.
Don't want to start cutting up mine as I've only got one! Also don't know what type of adhesive that would stick to the mat to the Shig base - maybe silicone?

Anyone want to experiment? :cheers:

I think I inadvertently caused some confusion, so let me clarify:

The spider-mod, or any similar mod I suggested, has only one aim, which is to improve the sound quality. If all you want is some means to clamp the CD, then you two much simpler solutions:
a) buy the 3-ball type SF-P101N CD mech (cheap and widely available from eBay and HiFi spares shops)
b) dig up an old/broken/unwanted Sanyo/JVC boombox - there is a very high chance that it has a Shiga-compatible puck, as most of their boomboxes shared the same mech.

Last edited:
I've torn apart several CD-Rom drives to see how they were constructed and most have a rubber ring on the bottom CD clamp. The top clamp is magnetic in all units I've opened. (I'll try to get a pix and upload it tonight.

Unfortunately the shaft on the CD-Rom is 3mm and the Shiga motor shaft is 2mm so these clamps are of no use other than looking at the details of construction.

Magnet strength is sufficient to lift the bottom half of the clamp at a distance of 1-1.5cm.

I wonder if a thin bead of silicon rubber would be helpful.

Apply a thin bead to the bottom clamp. Coat a useless CD with mold release. Place the cd on the bottom clamp and place top magnetic top clamp on to hold till the silicon sets. Remove top clamp, and CD, then trim the silicon rubber with a razor blade.

Last edited:
Tibi,

What is the color code?

Particularly Orange and Red.

tks

Steven

This is a personal mark for shipping status. Color is for postal office. Depending on your country I need to go to different post office.
FYI, your goods are ready for shipping but I need to go to the post office and ship.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator: