Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Hello Erik,

At this time I don´t have resources for this service, but I plan in the future to offer this transport ready mounted and tested.
An alternative would be to get the boards ready mounted from PCB factory, but the minimum order is 500.

Regards,
Tibi

Maybe if you ask around on this forum...I do not think there are many people equiped to make a lot of decent SMDs and chipsolderings...

If the price stays "low" I am even in the game to buy a couple more...so if everybody on the forum chips in...maybe they want to condsider it when you buy say 250...just thinking out loud...:D

If the price stays "low" I am even in the game to buy a couple more...

I was late getting my name on the list for boards so I would be happy if the order increased, I could double my board requirement.

I am not very confident of soldering SMS components.
I think I would do a reasonable looking job and have totally fried the chips in the process.
Perhaps there are people watching this thread and not adding their name to the list for boards because it seems too late this time? Probably it is too late though?

Alternately perhaps someone with the skills and time to do a professional job of mounting the smd components would do a batch for a suitable fee?

Bill

hi tibi and jazz,

thanks for the effort you guys put into this project. i got to know about this quite late as well but glad i did.
like eric, i'm also kin to know if it's possible to get the smd components mounted and whether the price can be kept low. the other concern is getting all the components on the BOM. if it's possible, i'm also kin to get the components in a "kit" form and i'm willing to pay extra for the effort.

Actually, the tools for doing SMD work need not be expensive nor complicated.

1) A good soldering iron with temp control. I you plan on doing any other projects this is a necessity any way so the cost is moot.

2) Tweezers with a couple of different profiles for picking up components.

3) A good set of magnifiers that mount on your head. These can be anything from simple like the attached photo, or as complex as with a flip down additional lens, lights etc.

4) A steady hand. Practice helps.

Attachments

• Head Magnifiers.JPG
    Head Magnifiers.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 565
Old Ladies in China

I apologise for in advance for an attempt at an humourous interlude.
No offense intended to apoopoo999 just making a different observation.
C'mon if they can teach old ladies in china to solder smds Im sure you can do it too :p

Old Ladies in China are probably more skilled than I am at most things!
They often have excellent assembly skills and many years practical experience.
Working harder than me for their living springs to mind as another prime example....:)

I have a theory the old ladies are in control really!
We live in a Matriarchal world, but the old ladies are so clever they persuade most of us men that we are in charge.....

If you don't mind a quick diversion, click the link below skip the adverts as soon as you can (they are sad!) and slide to 0.40
Monty Python - Hell's Grannies - YouTube
It's UK humour so it might not translate universally...

I promise I won't post another joke for ages...

Bill

LED Display

Hi Tibi

I understand the move to an LED display. One thing to worry about is the availability of the LED display in different parts of the world. I found that some displays that were easily available in Europe, were not available in the U.S., even though the company that made them is based in the U.S.

If you can, please post the part number of the LED display your are considering and let us inmates in this project look at sourcing in our local markets. Thanks in advance.

Jac

I haven't thought of this before but since the Display is only informational it could be managed by a MCU and the same goes for the remote stuff. These parts will NOT affect the SQ unless we find ways to do so. So we could use whatewer displays as long we write the code for it :)

Brgds

I did a quick filtered search on Mouser for what seems to be the size we're looking for (and Common Cathode since that's the one jazz35 picked)

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor LED Displays & Accessories

I wasn't sure how to filter it further based on the desired operating voltage etc. I noticed the one suggested by woodturner-fran was yellow, but had higher luminosity than the one listed by jazz35. We should consider wat we think the right color and brightness should be. While the yellow in this case is brighter, I'm not sure if red or green would look better.

I did a quick filtered search on Mouser for what seems to be the size we're looking for (and Common Cathode since that's the one jazz35 picked)

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor LED Displays & Accessories

I wasn't sure how to filter it further based on the desired operating voltage etc. I noticed the one suggested by woodturner-fran was yellow, but had higher luminosity than the one listed by jazz35. We should consider wat we think the right color and brightness should be. While the yellow in this case is brighter, I'm not sure if red or green would look better.

Any display "control unit" should be able to drive at least a few different display matrices, as long as they are sufficiently similar. Experience tells me that it will be rather difficult for everyone to agree on a single colour and brightness ;)

On a side note, too much brightness is somewhat less of a problem than too little - light is easy to moderate with a piece of smoked glass (the price being a small loss of clarity).
Changing of the colour is pretty much impossible, unless we go for white LEDs. And even then, it's not so simple - the so called "white" LED light contains very little of certain wavelengths, especially reds and violets. Incandescent dot matrix would be ideal in this regard because its spectrum contains all visible wavelengths and could be easily filtered down to pretty much any colour imaginable ;)

This is the display from the Sanyo donor unit PH-PR83(now discontinued).
The board is made by Cainebo out of Hong Kong. I am guessing the remote is bundled with it. The remote is the same as the JVC one (physically) This display has no backlight.
¾ÛÕæ¿Æ¼¼ÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾
Can't imagine they would sell boards/displays in small qty... maybe they just made the pcb....
Just posting in case this is of any conceivable use to anyone.:boggled:

Attachments

• IMG_2352.jpg
    IMG_2352.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 696
Last edited:
As slow as LED displays are refreshed, it should be possible to monitor the display output with a modern micro,and capture the segment drive, then use a look-up table to translate to another display output. I may finally have a use for some of these.

Attachments

• LED N VF diaplay.jpg
    LED N VF diaplay.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 649
Hey Folks,

I've come to the party late and despite searching this thread from the beginning, I still have questions. Perhaps someone can help?

What is the consensus of the Group regarding using a puck vs 3-ball puck-less?

Can the SF-P101N be mounted vertically? If so, is there any sonic disadvantage to this mounting?

Thanks to all.
-John