Finally, an affordable CD Transport: the Shigaclone story

Is it just no sound or is it not playing??

It was not playing but I've fixed it now. The closed door switch connector on the pcb was not connecting so I just soldered the wires instead of using the connector. I must have done a lot of damage round there but it's all come right in the end. I must say that I am surprised how these electrical and electronic components are forgiving of the bad treatment they get from the likes of me.

I am just waiting for my Dales and Caddocks now. See what improvement they will give although I am quite happy with the sound I've got. Caddocks are far cheaper from Michael Percy Audio than from anywhere else I've seen. Got that link from one of Peter's posts.

I did similar things in a past, and so what; it just didn't produce results I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not discouraging people from going into extremes, but it's not easy to find successful combination of materials and structure that works really well; simple overbuilding does not guarantee success, at least not in my experience.

Okay fair enough therefore I did post a photo with my construction which is not simular to yours actually and besides that it worked very well for me .....so maybe it helps others ..;)

I just finish my first shigaclone.Wow, waht an upgrade for my sounbd system, but there's only one problem, with quiet music you can hear the mechanism. This is very anoying. Anybody experience this ?

Now, I'm thinking to make a lid wich will function also as a dust cover. My first plan was to mound the cd on an old turntable wich is equiped with a lid, but I couldn't find one. For the shigaclone lid, i'm thinking to take a thick plexy plate and work on the router to make a one piece lid.

I just finish my first shigaclone.Wow, waht an upgrade for my sounbd system, but there's only one problem, with quiet music you can hear the mechanism. This is very anoying. Anybody experience this ?

Now, I'm thinking to make a lid wich will function also as a dust cover. My first plan was to mound the cd on an old turntable wich is equiped with a lid, but I couldn't find one. For the shigaclone lid, i'm thinking to take a thick plexy plate and work on the router to make a one piece lid.

A little inspiration?

This was a prototype from Michell Engineering and it was built on one of his TT plinths. I was struggling with a lid design too, but this design is rather simple and I think I can find a similar style lid or fabricate one from the ends of an aluminum tank. I'll use the stock magnetic puck separately, so it will be a two step process, but the TOC switch can be easily integrated and the Aluminum lid will be dampened with EAR or similar sound/vibration dampening material.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I did some work on the display today... and had a few questions.

DSC00127.JPG

Where do the 2 connections on the left go? I have photos of the board, but want to make sure.

DSC00126.JPG

And is that a 10k resistor where I pulled out the terminal block on the front of the display?

I took some listening tests yesterday evening with different corners but I wasn't able to detect any clear difference amongst the four corners. So I stay with the corner of post #3951.

Thanks, I think I will pick one that is the easiest..

Is Vref coming from LA9242? Pin58/VR is "Reference voltage output pin" so yes? And Pin57/REFI is by-pass cap for it..

Jeez,
I can't believe you guys. Two weeks ago I posted where to get one, and you're still bit*(&^*(&^*ing about how these aren't available - just Google "JVC RC-EZ31" and see what comes up. The place I suggested still has at least one, and Amazon sells around the world.

BTW, having bought 2 (two weeks ago), I'm well into my version of Peter's excellent project...

Bill