• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FetZilla groupsbuy 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Just received my SMPS - happily it may well be a slightly higher voltage than the expected +-25V(~30V unloaded, 28V on the silkscreen, yet to test under load) appears to have a +5 output also (the header isn't there though, so I don't know if it has any load capacity and I see a pin for the +-15V supply marked 'mute'. Could be useful!

Anyway I mention this on this thread as it seems relevant to folk doing a smps build on this GB, but I don't want to clutter the buy thread. MM (in particular, but anyone else as well) what would you prefer?

I want to warn you that if you order your SMPS directly from Connexelectronics, expect a long wait. I paid for mine on 12/12/13. They didn't ship until 12/16 and it didn't leave the sort facility until 12/28. No telling when it will get here in California. The other issue is that they make it look like as if you are buying a 110V supply but then send you an email telling you that it is actually set up for 220V. Seems I will have to convert it once I receive it. HiFimeDIY.com carries the 110V units in stock and shipping is half what Connex charges. If you live in the US it is a no-brainer.

Just received my SMPS - happily it may well be a slightly higher voltage than the expected +-25V(~30V unloaded, 28V on the silkscreen, yet to test under load) appears to have a +5 output also (the header isn't there though, so I don't know if it has any load capacity and I see a pin for the +-15V supply marked 'mute'. Could be useful!

Anyway I mention this on this thread as it seems relevant to folk doing a smps build on this GB, but I don't want to clutter the buy thread. MM (in particular, but anyone else as well) what would you prefer?

You need 35Vdc for the FetZilla or are you planning to run it at lower voltage?

I think a few of us would like to hear of your SMPS experience
Though its probably best in a Fetzilla thread on . . building - I suggest re-posting there

Though I don't know - which thread covers Fetzilla building?

Cheers

Did you get the same one as Patrick? Or. . from?

I'm also in Oz - what is the cost inc post?

Cheers

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Plan for my build

Hi otto88,

I've a different smps here than still4given - i got it here at aliexpress for ~$50. I just tested it and put a couple of amps through a dummy load - it was steady at about +-24V. It has a lower current +-15V supply on the board also allegedly good for 5W so I'm considering a pre to put on it, and make an integrated amp.

The enclosure is on order ($64.90 and I haven't seen it yet) from here I've bought from this suppler before and was happy, so I'm looking forward to seeing this unit. I reckon it'll be a tight squeeze to fit it all in, but they always seem to end up that way... :)

I'll bias at a planned .75A - dissipation at that point should be about 40W per channel (48V from +ve to -ve times .75). At an estimated .5C/W for the heatsink (seat o the pants number) that gets me a ~20C rise, and summer here hits over 40C, so that gets a final temp of 60C for the amp. I've been a bit conservative there so hopefully I'll be all good (if not I'll drop the bias back down!). The reason for the higher bias is that I need little power for my main speakers (94dBm/W (1m)) so with a higher bias I figure I'll be sitting in the Class A section of the amps operation all the time, so why not?

Anyway, that's the plan. Anyone got a recommendation for a pre to match that draws less than 5W?

Last edited:
Hi AS

I'll check the links

I'll probably also set bias at c 0.75

A mate got an F5 kit from this place and was happy
Here's the best of their 3 preamps:
NE5532 HI FI Stereo Line Preamplifier With Onboard LM317 LM337 DC Regulator KIT | eBay

Are you getting your power trannie from Harbuch?

Does that amp case include the pictured heatsinks!?

I was considering one of these:
Chassis case item
They are slow responding to email, but shipping is fast
(http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/154291-pre-poweramp-case-group-buy-2.html#post2703028) Ive bought their once before
I know the - would need vents drilled - but nicely "round cornered" like a large Mac Mini PRAL-47328R (about half way down that webpage) is NT (Taiwanese $) is
$7800 +shipping by EMS to Australia at NT$1700 ie NT 9500, about US$ 330. Crazy I guess, but looks great

The PWAD-A40 used to be about US$ 170

Preliminary test results with one SMPS and two modules.The treble and mids are more open and nice to listen. The bass is changed seems to be reduced.The reason I think is the value of the output caps of the SMPS 4000µF(for the two channels) against conventional psu with 18800µF(one channel).
Can tell you mre when I recieve my second SMPS

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@otto I'll check out those links, thanks very much. To your questions - no trannie, that's what the smps is for, and should take up a lot less space! The case does include the heatsinks, so it's cheaper than buying a rack case and a pair of heatsinks here in oz. What are you planning on using as heatsinks on those cases you're looking at? I do like the curved corner one... And finally the board is 150mm*80mm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.