Feedback artifacts, cars and semantics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Charles Hansen said:
8) Someone else points out that in the realm of audio amplifiers that the word "feedback" has come to mean a specific thing, and that to differentiate the local degeneration that occurs in an emitter follower from the word "feedback" that is normally applied to audio amplifiers is, in fact, a useful thing.

Well of course it's a useful thing to those selling amplifiers in a market where "feedback" is often a four letter word to lead people to believe that "feedback" is something other than "feedback."

se

Charles Hansen said:
Steve, don't stop now. You were just getting to the interesting part. Please continue with your point-by-point rebuttal to the rest of the post. Otherwise we'll all be doomed to continue in our figure-8.

Sure.

So on to the circuits themselves! Steven asked if I had really developed a zero feedback amplifier. The circuits I use have a combination of emitter followers and common emitters with unbypassed emitter resistors. So I would describe these has having local degeneration at each stage. But there is absolutely no feedback *loop* of any sort. At no point is the signal "fed" "back" to an earlier stage.

There doesn't have to be an "earlier stage." There can be feedback in a single stage.

Your common-emitters with unbypassed emitter reistors for example.

This analysis certainly disagrees with your claim of zero feedback:

Attachments

• feedback.jpg
    feedback.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 284
The reason that I'm asking is because an experienced designer will know that although all of these circuits can be properly called "Darlington", they will have different performance characteristics. Furthermore these characteristics will have an impact on the sound quality.

So it might be useful to define our terms here so that when we use a specific word, we can agree what kind of "Darlington" we are referring to.

Nah...

That would make too much sense. Besides, then we couldn't play our game anymore (... the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush....)

Cheers,
Charles Hansen

Here's the Borbely quote, from JFETS: The New Frontiers, Part 2:

"JFETs as Followers
Just like tubes and bipolar transistors, JFETs can also be operated as followers, more specifically source followers. The basic circuit is shown in Fig. 15a. The drain is AC-grounded, and the output signal is taken out across the source resistor, which means it operates with 100% local feedback. The gain of the source follower is:

AV = gm x RS/(1 + gm x RS)."

se

andy_c said:

The game is not engineering clarification. The game is marketing obfuscation.

YES!

I think it is already very clear ( and was clear for many years before this thread started) that any emitter/source/cathode follower uses negative feedback and only people who market "zero feedback" amplifiers using followers are keep objecting :) .

I will quote on this matter from Ben Duncan's excellent book "High Performance Audio Power Amplifers" :

" 'Zero' really means no overall feedback. It is usually practically nesessary in production, and is also no less advantageous to measured linearity and sonics, to add local feedback where it isn't already used, and to increase the amounts." (page 158)

x-pro

Re: insert suitable quote here!

PrimeCase said:

I have one semi useful observation that I have never heard an amplifier with darlington output devices that I liked the sound of, not that one decent designer couldn't make a decent one, as I said just an observation.

Charles has already discussed the technical aspect of various
Darlington topologies. One thing I think he missed to include (or
I just missed it in his postings) is the Darlington devices, that is
those Darlintons on a chip sold as Darlinton transistors. One
amplifier using such devices is the now discontinued swedish
power amp Sentec PA-9 which is still one of the recommended
amplifiers by the Swedish audiotechnical society (LTS). Their
comment is that apart from the somewhat restricted power they
have found no shortcomings in it. A friend of mins has those
monoblocks since many years and they are not bad at all. I am
not saying they are the best things ever made or even that they
would qualify has high-end, but they are quite good
amps. That said, my friend has reported improvements from
upgrading the transformers and lytics in his amps, but that might
be because his new speakers really would need more powerful
beasts.

But in an emitter follower, there is no time delay. This is because the emitter terminal is *both* the output port and one of the input ports.

Really? How can that be? Isn't there a causality issue that you're missing? The change a of voltage at the emitter is caused by the change in input voltage. There may not be much delay, but surely there's delay.

The whole delay issue is a red herring, else you couldn't drive a car.

Yes, every active circuit in the real world has some feedback, much as those of us who sell (or in my case, used to sell) like to wave our hands around the issue. Even an undegenerated common emitter stage has some feedback due to re.

Power bipolar transistors show a huge B-E capacitance when conducting and a C-B capacitance an order of magnitude lower

When using bipolars as emitter followers, B-E capacitance guarantees a gain of 1 or more and little phase shift at high frequencies. A a capacitive current divider is formed with C-B and B-E capacitances and most of the B-E 'charging' current is delivered to the load

When using bipolars in common emitter configuration, gain may be much less than unity and phase shift is huge at high frequencies. Most of the drive current is used to 'charge' the B-E junction and therefore is never delivered to the load

So emitter follower configuration is allways 'faster' than common emitter since it has higher current gain and lower phase shift specially at high frequencies

In CFPs, the small and fast emitter follower tries to compensate for the slowness of the big and slow common emitter one, but this means the small device must handle huge currents at high frequencies

Also, the small device has nothing to do to speed up turn-off of the power device and this causes heavy cross-conduction spikes at high frequencies and problems of HF oscillations due to very high current rise slopes and very low current fall slopes [and lots of lag before effectively current falls on the power device]

Driving bipolar devices is not so dfferent from driving MOS devices, B-E junction needs high positive currents to be 'charged' and high negative currents to be 'discharged' [of a magnitude of half IC]. Lower currents mean slower charge displacement and slower IC changes. The only difference is that bipolars require a steady-state current while MOS devices doesn't require it

I recomend experimenting with the switching behavior of bipolar devices to understand its HF characteristics. Currently I'm using bipolars on a full bridge to switch 6A@300V DC and trying to optimice switching losses

I for one do not agree that the lower diagram is necessarily a feedback system. Absolutely not. If you replace your transistor with a resistor of conductance gm it will fit the lower diagram.

ARE YOU SUGGESTING THAT A RESISTOR IS A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK DEVICE?

Attachments

• feedback.jpg
    feedback.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 319
"JFETs as Followers
Just like tubes and bipolar transistors, JFETs can also be operated as followers, more specifically source followers. The basic circuit is shown in Fig. 15a. The drain is AC-grounded, and the output signal is taken out across the source resistor, which means it operates with 100% local feedback.

The gain of the source follower is: AV = gm × RS/(1 + gm × RS).

Two things become obvious from the formula: first, the source follower does not reverse the phase of the signal, and second, if gm x RS >> 1, then the gain becomes approximately unity. In order to make RS large, you can use a constant-current source with high output impedance (Fig. 15b). The linearity is also dependent on RS..."

from "JFETS: THE NEW FRONTIERS, PART 2" by Erno Borbely

JF

Attachments

• follower.jpg
    follower.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 301
I think that what traderbam was saying was that the emitter follower was drawn as a two-terminal device -- base and emitter. So if we insert a different two terminal device (e.g., a resistor), then we can see that one lead corresponds to the base and the other to the emitter. In that case, the resistor value becomes Rl and gm = 1. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding what he was saying.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.