Feedback artifacts, cars and semantics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nelson Pass said:
I did not assume such a resistor for either case, and adding one
creates a new ball game.

As far as the estimate of internal feedback of the Sziklai, I think
40 dB is way too high if you consider that there is invariably
a resistor Base-Emitter of the second transistor. Depending on
that value, a more typical figure is maybe 10 dB, very dependent
on the impedance of the source and the load.

This doesn't negate the central conclusion - is there more gain
with a Sziklai? Voltage yes, current not really. After that we
are arguing amounts.

Ok, let's back up here a moment.

Take a given transistor configured as a single-ended, single supply, grounded-emitter common-emitter amplifier with a given value of resistance for the collector load RC. And in that configuration, you end up with a voltage gain of let's say 20dB.

Now take that same transistor and the same resistance and configure it as single-ended common-collector amplifier (emitter follower).

Question: When configured as the latter, do we have an amplifier circuit operating with 0dB of negative feedback or 20dB of negative feedback?

se

Nelson Pass said:
For the follower, I think we would say about 20 dB of
degeneration, which I think is regarded as a form of
feedback, but which is not usually what we talk about
when we use the word "feedback"

Well when we say "global feedback" we mean something other than when we say "local feedback" but they're both feedback and fundamentally they behave exactly the same. If it's feedback it's feedback. I fail to see how one form of feedback makes it fundamentally any more or less feedback than a different form of feedback.

Is blue paint any more or less paint than red paint?

If emitter degeneration is a form of feedback, then it's feedback. Period. And since it's degenerative rather than regenerative, that makes it negative feedback.

se

I agree with Nelson Pass and Charles Hansen. We must differentiate between local feedback, followers, and loop or global feedback. While they have some similarities, they also have significant differences.
It is interesting to look at an ideal follower with R(load) being very high. In this case you have TOTAL degeneration, with the interesting result of the follower being close to ideal, because there is virtually no significant change in Gm, therefore no distortion is generated. Yet, a follower with an 8 ohm load would behave much like a common emitter (source, cathode) with 8 ohms of resistive degeneration, so far as distortion is concerned. In this case, there is almost no 'feedback', but also no voltage gain.
What do you think?

john curl said:
I agree with Nelson Pass and Charles Hansen. We must differentiate between local feedback, followers, and loop or global feedback.

On the whole the differentiation is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. There's either the existence of feedback or the absence of feedback and whether it's regenerative or degenerative. If feedback exists, then it's just a question of how much.

While they have some similarities, they also have significant differences.

Yeah? What's the difference between negative feedback and negative feedback?

It is interesting to look at an ideal follower with R(load) being very high. In this case you have TOTAL degeneration...

Why wouldn't you have "TOTAL degeneration" simply with no resistance on the collector?

...with the interesting result of the follower being close to ideal, because there is virtually no significant change in Gm, therefore no distortion is generated.

Is it the result of no significant change in gm or is it because of the effects of negative feedback?

Yet, a follower with an 8 ohm load would behave much like a common emitter (source, cathode) with 8 ohms of resistive degeneration, so far as distortion is concerned. In this case, there is almost no 'feedback', but also no voltage gain.

A common-source with what sort of collector load?

If emitter degeneration is indeed negative feedback (and I've so far seen no conclusive evidence that it is not) then the amount of feedback and therefore the amount of linearization will depend on the ratio of the collector load and the 8 ohm emitter resistor.

se

"It is interesting to look at an ideal follower with R(load) being very high. In this case you have TOTAL degeneration, with the interesting result of the follower being close to ideal, because there is virtually no significant change in Gm, therefore no distortion is generated."

"Objection. Assumes facts not in evidence."

"Objection sustained. Strike the statement from the record."

"Yet, a follower with an 8 ohm load would behave much like a common emitter (source, cathode) with 8 ohms of resistive degeneration, so far as distortion is concerned. In this case, there is almost no 'feedback', but also no voltage gain."

"Objection. Assumes facts not in evdience."

"Objection sustained. Strike the statement from the record."

se

Is it the result of no significant change in gm or is it because of the effects of negative feedback?

Objection. There is no significant change in gm because there IS feedback. From the transistor's point of view as a sort of differential amplifier (it's really the differential voltage between emitter and base that's the variable in the Ebers-Moll equation), the feedback causes the majority of the input to be common mode.

SY said:
Objection. There is no significant change in gm because there IS feedback. From the transistor's point of view as a sort of differential amplifier (it's really the differential voltage between emitter and base that's the variable in the Ebers-Moll equation), the feedback causes the majority of the input to be common mode.

Fair 'nuff.

But the salient point is that it linearizes due to feedback. And negative feedback at that as we're not talking about oscillators here.

And if that's the case, then no design using followers can rightly be called zero feedback, yes?

se

Charles Hansen said:
If those pesky moderators hadn't split the thread in two, we could just go around in circles now. As it is, we'll need to do more of a figure-8.

Why would we go around in circles?

Do you agree with this pesky moderator's statement or not?

There is no significant change in gm because there IS feedback. From the transistor's point of view as a sort of differential amplifier (it's really the differential voltage between emitter and base that's the variable in the Ebers-Moll equation), the feedback causes the majority of the input to be common mode.

If you agree with it, then we'll not be going around in circles.

se

insert suitable quote here!

as someone who is about as dangerous to himself with a soldering iron as a monkey is with dynamite and matches...

I have one semi useful observation that I have never heard an amplifier with darlington output devices that I liked the sound of, not that one decent designer couldn't make a decent one, as I said just an observation.

anyway I remember in a former life at working for an audio dealer being terrified by the managing director of a company building very famous Scottish turntable throwing a tantrum when I even suggested that his "baby" wasn't as good as he made it out to be and he ought to listen to a Roksan!

his ultimate answer was "everyone has the perfect right to be wrong"......I always remember that, as it was by him in a sly way an admission that even he get's it wrong sometimes....

very entertaining thread by the way.

Kevin

Here's my version of the argument

So is it fair to say that the block diagram below represents the view of those claiming that an emitter follower has no feedback?:)

Attachments

• feedback.jpg
    feedback.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 321
Andy, you forgot to go back to the start of the circle. Here's how it works:

1) Lukio asks for information on a "no-feedback" amp.

2) Many people tell him that that's a terrible thing because "no-feedback" amps have all kinds of problems.

3) Someone posts a schematic of an amp that has several feedback loops, but no loop than encompasses the entire amplifier.

4) I assert that there are more kinds of feedback in amplifiers than we have terms for, and that it is meaningful to distinguish between these different types of feedback by using different terms and futhermore suggest terms that we should use, and give reasons for making those distinctions.

5) People argue that all feedback is feedback, period.

6) Someone else points out why some feedback is different from other feedback.

7) People argue that all feedback is feedback, period.

8) Someone else points out that in the realm of audio amplifiers that the word "feedback" has come to mean a specific thing, and that to differentiate the local degeneration that occurs in an emitter follower from the word "feedback" that is normally applied to audio amplifiers is, in fact, a useful thing.

8) People argue that all feedback is feedback, period.

9) Go back to step #4. Repeat as often as necessary.

Now, isn't that a fun game?

Charles Hansen said:

Ok. So to avoid the figure-of-eight dilemma, I'll reply here.

At any rate, there are those that claim that an emitter follower has "100% negative feedback". Please allow me to explain why I disagree with this terminology.

In the first place, the term "feedback" clearly implies that the signal is being "fed" "bacK" from a later point in the circuit to an earlier point in the circuit. In all circuits that use feedback, except the emitter follower, this is true. In the emitter follower, the emitter is simultaneously both an input port and and output port. So the signal is *not* being "fed" "back" from a later point to an earlier point.

Well, while the emitter is at the same node as the output, it's not actually the output. The output is the voltage across the emitter resistor as a consequence of the current flowing through it.

Look at the transistor's equivalent circuit (as a transconductance device) rather than its basic schematic symbol and I think it becomes more clear why the emitter isn't the output.

In the equivalent circuit, you have a current source whose current is controlled by the base/emitter voltage in the form of gmVbe.

As for feedback, I just remembered that Kurt Strain did a rather comprehensive analysis of this over on Prop Heads back in July of 2003, where he shows that a transistor configured as a common-collector/emitter-follower meets all the criteria for a negative feedback circuit.

Unfortunately the graph he posted with the equivalent circuit and the equations is gone, but the post can be found here:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/prophead/messages/4742.html

The second reason is that if we look at the case of a common emitter amplifier with an unbypassed emitter resistor, we will see that there is an action in the circuit identical to what happens in an emitter follower. If one were to call this action "feedback" you would run into a difficult semantic problem.

No you wouldn't. It might be problematic for the marketing department. But that's about it.

Specifically, take the case of a common emitter amplifier with *no* emitter resistor. Due to the Re of the transistor itself, the gain is limited. So if one were to claim that there is feedback with an unbypassed emitter resistor, to be consistent one would still claim there is feedback even with no emitter resistor whatsoever.

Yes, they would claim that there is feedback. Because there would be feedback. There is no semantic problem because however much or little feedback there is, that doesn't change the definition of feedback.

Is one drop of paint any more or less paint than a gallon of paint?

In this case one would have to say that *every* circuit in the world has feedback, and the term itself loses all meaning.

No it doesn't. Feedback still means what it means regardless.

Has distortion lost all meaning simply because there are amplifiers with distortion significantly below what many would consider negligible? Of course not. No one's touting "zero distortion" amplifiers are they?

Just use the word feedback in a more honest, quantitiative sense, such as decibels.

Remember that words are supposed to be useful tools that help us define and understand the world.

Yes. But pretending something doesn't exist when it does doesn't help us define and understand the world. It may help us define and understand "marketing" however.

To explore the third reason, we must look at why people want to avoid feedback in the first place. In general, people are trying to minimize or avoid the use of feedback because they have found that there is a detrimental effect on sound quality. We don't know all the reasons why this would be true, but for the sake of argument let's assume that it is because feedback can't correct an error until after it has occurred. This is because there is obviously a time delay involved in a feedback loop. The circuit cannot respond instantaneously (if it did it would have infinite bandwidth) and so there is a time delay between the input and the output. So the feedback loop is always responding after the fact. But in an emitter follower, there is no time delay. This is because the emitter terminal is *both* the output port and one of the input ports.

The key phrase being "one of the input ports."

But the current, which is what flows through the emitter resistor to give us the output voltage, is controlled by the voltage BETWEEN the base and emitter. And since the input signal exists between the base and ground, how can there NOT be a time delay?

So the bottom line is that to call an emitter follower a feedback circuit is not useful in any way, in my opinion.

Well it certainly wouldn't be useful for someone who is making their living selling what they claim to be zero feedback amplifiers would it? :D

In fact it only serves to confuse the issue.

To call something other than what it is is confusing the issue.

Sometimes people refer to an emitter follower (or a common emitter circuit with an unbypassed emitter resistor) as having "local feedback". While this helps to distinguish it from "loop feedback" or "global feedback", I think that ultimately it is misleading, at least in the world of high performance audio circuits.

It's not misleading to call feedback feedback.

I find it interesting that the two who have pounded their fists the loudest, and who have more than once resorted to personal attacks on this issue, are both in the business of selling amplifiers.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.