Favorite speaker wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While for most wire I'd agree, don't kid yourself that there aren't any wires out there with RLC specs. that influence the audio band. For e.g., you may wish to peruse the attached. This is 10m of an old Siltech made ribbon wire, into a simulated load (of a Carver Platinum MkIV if you're interested, which was done with full knowledge & measurements of drivers & XO). The amplifer was a Boulder, very low output impedance, and driven direct at the terminals, this should be flat to >20KHz.

Equally, the 4-5ohms of series R in a custom Fostex wire of a few years ago does have a very obviously measureable effect on the response & behaviour of the combined amplifier-wire-speaker system, how much depending naturally on the spec. of the first and last mentioned.

I can give a number of those examples, off course there are situations where ridiculous combinations are made (high output impedance, low input impedance (a speaker system) That's why I never understood why 16 ohm speakers where phased out... How about a passive guitar? Though I render such examples out of order since they have nothing to do with hifi....

As said influences can be measured and calculated and especially line level cables where output impedances from active circuitry should be really low and the input impedances high the influences of cables and contact resistance etc. are negligible...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.