Favorite speaker wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What parameters of the cables changed most?
The inductance, or the resistance, or the capacitance?

I will suggest, no insist, that what you heard was the effect of those changed parameters on what the amplifier was able to output and the speaker was able to interpret.

You were not hearing the cables. You were hearing the changed performance of the amplifier and speaker combination when you changed the reactances between them.

Interesting point... the main difference is the NeoTech are a much larger diameter cable and had a different strands in the middle (much stiffer strands than the strands of wire that surrounded it).

The Cardas are much smaller in diameter and has the same wire material throughout.

So what your saying... it's not that the spoon that bent, because there is no spoon :)

I'm not sure I understand you analogy.

The difference in diameters will almost certainly change the reactance of the cable.

The amplifier has to drive that reactance. If the amplifier changes it's performance in trying to drive that changed reactance then the signal being transmitted can be different and can sound different.

The most obvious change would be reduced stability margins. These have a profound effect on the final sound. If the amplifier performance does change then it needs to be redesigned to tolerate reactances that can be or likely to be hung on it's output terminals.

Another obvious change is the effect that source resistance can have on a speakers bass loading. Increased resistance increases the bass loading Q and that too has a profound effect on the final sound arriving at your ears.

Last edited:
its a line from the Matrix, meaning not everything is as it seems, your saying because the properties of the wire change, the amplifier is behaving differently and that is the reason for the audible difference, not because the wire made it sound different...

Your theory is sound, I was running an analogue amp when I made the cable switch, I later bought a much better quality digital amp and I can't spot such a discernable difference when I switch between the wires now.

its a line from the Matrix, meaning not everything is as it seems, your saying because the properties of the wire change, the amplifier is behaving differently and that is the reason for the audible difference, not because the wire made it sound different...

Your theory is sound, I was running an analogue amp when I made the cable switch, I later bought a much better quality digital amp and I can't spot such a discernable difference when I switch between the wires now.

You can certainly hear the difference between Bell Wire and 2.5mm Solid Core Domestic Cable.

Once you get into the World of heavy duty cables there is VERY LITTLE difference between them at audio frequency.

Yes I have questioned if some of these exotic cable at $600 a foot could ever be worth what they are asking. The common consus seems to be buy something decent but not over the top, and spend the thousands you save on something that will make a significant difference.

Amazed at what some of you guys use for speaker wires i.e. Cat5 computer wire, kettle chords, extension chords etc etc, if it's laying around and metal it's fair game for trying out :)

'Amazed at what some of you guys use for speaker wires'

I'm still amazed that people still fall for the 'this wire is better than that scam'. Signal conduction is a fundamental concept that even my 9 year old mastered 2 years ago - some people just don't or won't get it! Get over it and move on!

'if it's laying around and metal it's fair game for trying out' - yes if you like wasting your time. It will all give the same result unless properties have been deliberately altered from what you expect from a basic standard conductor wire of reasonable thickness (coathanger) and length (less than 50M). Move on for Christ's sake :) (last post I promise)

Last edited:
........Amazed at what some of you guys use for speaker wires i.e. Cat5 computer wire, kettle chords, extension chords etc etc, if it's laying around and metal it's fair game for trying out......
if your, or my speaker cable is 600mm long then what resistance does CAT5 twisted pair add to the round trip route from the hot output terminal back to the cold output terminal? What value is the capacitance of that 600mm CAT5 speaker cable?
What value is the inductance of that 600mm CAT5 speaker cable.

If I have bi-wired my speaker then I have two runs of 600mm cable.
and for tri-wired I have three runs of 600mm cable.
Each run being dedicated to each driver and it's requirements.

Last edited:
I coat the ends of my speaker wire with solder because it is nice and soft and when you screw it down it really molds into a nice connection.

Not a good idea as the solder creeps under pressure. Your connections may be nice and tight when you make them, but after a while they will be much slacker than an equivalent connection made to bare wire. This can actually cause real problems with overheating and arcing in mains connections.

'Amazed at what some of you guys use for speaker wires'

I'm still amazed that people still fall for the 'this wire is better than that scam'. Signal conduction is a fundamental concept that even my 9 year old mastered 2 years ago - some people just don't or won't get it! Get over it and move on!

'if it's laying around and metal it's fair game for trying out' - yes if you like wasting your time. It will all give the same result unless properties have been deliberately altered from what you expect from a basic standard conductor wire of reasonable thickness (coathanger) and length (less than 50M). Move on for Christ's sake :) (last post I promise)

Well you can rest easy knowing that I have never purchased any of those exotic wires, so this is one little black duck they never scammed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.