• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Fast GB: LM4702 high power amp test board ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: fets for lm4702

steven344 said:
I would like to know what veteren thinks of using irfp240 and irfp9240 with the lm4702.I can get fqa19n20c and fqa12p20 from Fairchild which is their cross to IR parts

I like IR transistors ;) IRFP240/IRFP9140 will be quite good for start - similar Rds-on resistance and quite low input capacitance. Another pair of MOSFETs: 2SK1529/2SJ200.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Was thinking more about the LM4702 and this thread. Will protection circuits affect the sound or will they not have enough of an effect to be noticeable? Or do protection circuits not have any effect on the sound quality (good or bad) until they actually do their protecting?

Thanks for any info,
-SL

veteran said:
MOSFETs are playing now - better and better with every minute ;D I will put them on a bigger heatsink and turn on the current.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Are you going to go for another group buy of these boards?

Re: lm4702

steven344 said:
Nice job on your boards,You may want to think about a rev b board set up for Complementary Sziklai Output,I tried this output with the lm4702 and like it better,it leaves room for more choices for output transistors.

I was also thinking about some Sziklai style output for this amplifier - no problem making board for it ;)

Differential output voltage of the LM4702 is a little to small (I have max. 6.4V here) to pull out all the 'heat' from IRFP transistors (Vgs should be about 3.7 for each or more if you wont to work in 'flat class A') so I have to buy some 2SK1529/2SJ200. I want to keep this as simple as I can without adding another stage.

~SpittinLLama
Now, when I know that it works fine I can make another small GB.

What do you say for this board in two versions: MOSFETS and Sziklai output stage? There will also be PS board (8 diodes and place for big snap-in caps) and maybe small board with protection circuits.

steven344, what do you think about one, universal board for this amp? Output stage can look like this:

Most of power transistors are in SOT93 and TO247 enclosures with standard pin-out (BCE / GDS). Configurations for this board:

1) T3 and T5 (or even T4 and T6 for double pairs) are MOSFETs. There are no T1 and T2 - only C and B pins are shorted.

2) As above but T3 and T5 are darlington transistors.

3) All transistors on this schematic are mounted = Sziklai style output.

4) T3/T4 are NPNs and T5/T6 PNPs. R3/R5 and R4/R6 - jumpers. This way we have symmetrical power darlingtons.

;)

lm4702 output

i was thinking more like this

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 908
lm4702

Yes ,But Im at work now,I have upload them when I get home.I used the set up from the schematic that way it lets you try different output transistors.Darlingtons are 2 transistors in the same package anyway.I think the bass is more controlled and there are not many high current darlingtons.

veteran said:
steven344, what do you think about one, universal board for this amp? Output stage can look like this:

Most of power transistors are in SOT93 and TO247 enclosures with standard pin-out (BCE / GDS). Configurations for this board:

1) T3 and T5 (or even T4 and T6 for double pairs) are MOSFETs. There are no T1 and T2 - only C and B pins are shorted.

2) As above but T3 and T5 are darlington transistors.

3) All transistors on this schematic are mounted = Sziklai style output.

4) T3/T4 are NPNs and T5/T6 PNPs. R3/R5 and R4/R6 - jumpers. This way we have symmetrical power darlingtons.

;)

That's not a bad idea. I had been playing around with different output board pairs to get the same idea. The only drawback that I can think of would be that the size of the universal board would be a little larger than necessiary. Still, that's definitely not a deal breaker, and the added flexability would be nice.

David

steven344, now it should be more clear.

Just few jumpers and you will be able to make your output stage ;) I'm using 56pF caps on input and NFB - without them my amplifier is unstable without any source connected. The only nice darlingtons are the SAPs but they are hard to buy.

dfdye, maybe it won't be much bigger ;) I can place transistors in front of LM4702 (mine is running quite hot so I will need a little heatsink for it).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.