• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Fast GB: LM4702 high power amp test board ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered 30 boards for my LM4702 amplifier. This is a test version pcb to take a closer look to National new audio driver. I don't need about 15 of them so if You are interested - just let me know. One board will cost about 12$ - 150x60mm, through hole plated, double layer, about 100um copper.

I would like to start tests from some cheap output transistors like 2SD2390/2SB1560 or 2SD2560/2SB1647 and 2SK1529/2SJ200 mosfets. SAP16N/SAP16P are very interesting but they are hard to buy here.

Documentation:
amp sch

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This was a test board. Capacitors protect speakers but amplifier sound much better without them ;) Supply voltage is limited to maximum OPA552 voltage range or (if regulators will be mounted) to about (+)(-)40VDC.

No, not yet. I'm waiting for my boards to start some real tests.

GB is closed. Soon I will put some pictures of my amplifier.

Re: lm4702

steven344 said:
veteran,Have you built the lm4702 amp yet,I just got some chips but have not made a board yet.Is the sound quality as good or better the lm3875 or lm3886.I have used upc1225 as a driver IC in the past for sub amps.
The potential is for a much higher powered amp going into harder-to-drive speakers since the LM4702 is merely the voltage gain stage rather than the power output device. The overall sound quality of the amp will be highly dependent on the type of output stage you choose, though the initial tests of the chip indicate it is a nice, clean voltage gain stage.

Unlike other opamp-based amps where there are only a few components present to impact sound, my bet is that every builder's choice of output transistors and configurations will substantially change the character of the amp, even though the initial voltage driver will be the same. Still no proof of this yet, but I'm working on it!

For instance, I already have 3 prototype output stages that I am tweaking, though I haven't gotten them to the point of final testing yet. My guess is that each will have a different character.

What I REALLY like about this chip so far is how flexable it is with regard to output! As long as your current gain stage is solid and can stand the low current, it seems as if the chip is feeding it pretty clean signals. Obviously 5.5mA isn't a lot, but it is definitely enough current to work with.

Re: Info

dj_vulture said:
Hi, I'm interrested by your board but could you send me more informations about it ant the method of payment that you accept. Is the board comming with silkscreen and/or soldermask?

Yes, board will have silkscreen and green soldermask just like that one:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This GB is closed so no more boards available. I will probably make some more in a future.

Dfdye is right. Output stage is most delicate part of this amplifier so we have to find the best way to make full use of 5mA output current from LM4702 ;)

alexcd said:
Will you be doing a respin of this board any time soon? Keep me posted. I'll probably take a few (3 or 4) off your hands!

I think that I will have few additional sets. I have confirmation that boards are now ready and probably I will receive them Friday.

There is a new application note from National with few more details about LM4702 and amplifier basing on it:
LM4702 amplifier application note

I think that my board is quite similar to project proposed by National ;)

veteran said:
There is a new application note from National with few more details about LM4702 and amplifier basing on it:
LM4702 amplifier application note
I can't believe I missed this!!! Thanks for the link.

I think this note is probably a pretty good reflection of what the DIY'ers have figured out about this chip too!

The one thing that I really noticed about their layout vs. all of ours is their IC is mounted on the center of the board. We have all been moving ours toward the edges of the board assuming some pretty good sized heat sinks for the chip. It looks like they didn't even sink thier's!

Absolutely! That's why most of us are concentrating on building different output stages than simple darlingtons. This particular board is limited to darlingtons, but the chip itself can use a much more robust output stage and crank some serious power based on the max rail voltages. (+/- 75V for the "C"'s and +/-85 for the A's and B's, though the latter two aren't out yet). If you do the math, you can get some serious crank out of those. The trick is the right output configuration. The tradeoff, obviously, is a more complicated and less straightforward (read more expensive) amplifier circuit.

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.