Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

The drawing for the Ultras is on this link (towards the bottom of the page). The drawing is fine but the crossover on the link is very old and outdated.

The best affordable DIY open baffle loudspeaker I've listened to so far.

The newer version of the crossover and the bill of materials is here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-86.html#post3438681

There are additional upgrades like the extra trap on the woofer and using the tiny bypass caps. Those are scattered through this (very long) thread.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Pano,
please add those links to post1.

Links

If Pano or John are going to add links here are a few more that may help.

Here is the diagram about the woofer trap for the Ultra. John's original post about it is several posts earlier.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-106.html#post3931863

And here is the start of the bypass capacitor talk.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-122.html#post4385112

Shameless plug now for the Lone Star Audio Fest. John says he's bringing a few new creations this year.

It's next week in Dallas and there are always some great sounding rooms. No charge for attending unless you want to stay in the hotel overnight. http://lonestaraudiofest.com/

Euro substitute Ultra 15"

If the specs are correct, this driver is pretty close. It is about 2 db more efficient which will require some adjustments to the crossover, as in a bit less pad (ohm or two) and a small increase in HF capacitor value. But it's all doable.

The only unknown is what the mid bass and lower midrange response is like. Is there a published frequency response curve for this TS-38 15" driver?

Lone Star Audio Fest

John had a couple of new speakers at the show. The little one was a ported box (!!) that did just about everything well. The other was an open baffle with a Seas on top with an 18" doing bass that sounded great and was capable of pretty amazing dynamics and very high listening levels.

The open baffles reminded me of his Ultra Plus speakers. It would be nice to give a more detailed comparison of the two models but it's been 4 or 5 years since I've heard the Ultra Plus model. They were also in different sized rooms and were driven by different amplfiers. These new one's handled his Kodo drum track with alarming dynamics using a small tube amp.

Nice stuff. :D

Attachments

• busch_lsaf_2017_wide.jpg
    busch_lsaf_2017_wide.jpg
    963.2 KB · Views: 936
  • Busch_lsaf_2017.jpg
    Busch_lsaf_2017.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 906
Thank you John and Pano

I am not shure what the secret behind these speakers are, but i just have to say: this is probably the most "live" speakers i have ever heard. I have a setup with the lx521 and 4x l26roy subwoffers adding to the fun, but the original Manzanita still performs better in many cases.

I am amazed with the simplicity and elegance of the design!

It is just GOOD! I am really enjoying the SLS+TDFC version to the fullest! Thanks for sharing this beatifull design :)

Thanks for giving me the best bedroom-speaker recipe ever :)

Three cheers to John and Pano :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey thanks Urkain! :up:

Glad to hear that this simple speaker bring you the joy of music, with a love feel. That is something that John is very good at - a speaker that sounds like live music. He's very good at picking driver combos that work well together, and is quite adept at simple, but effective, crossover designs. John has taught me a lot about speaker design, I'm glad that we can pass on some of that knowledge and fun here on diyAudio.

Frankly guys : congratulation, i believe a reliable, simple to diy and cheap speaker is a wonderfull gift to the world.

The SLS seems very musical, anyone asked with a double drivers : an other one at the bottom ? Or the bass of the first version with the sls is bass enough for a european living room (less than average 25/30 square meters) ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
John and I have both built twin woofer versions, it's nice to have the extra woofer surface area. The problem then becomes the mid/tweet keeping up with two woofers, it starts sounding strained.

Perhaps one of the little Faital Pro fullrange speakers could replace the Vifa, but would it blend as well with the woofers? Add to that a different response curve and shape from the twin woofers and you'll need to do some crossover work, to be sure. It's worth a try, but know the challenges before you get into it.