Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If I were looking for a cone mid/tweet, for use in this speaker, that is more efficient than the Vifa, I'd be looking hard at the FaitalPRO 4FE32. Which is conveniently out of stock at Parts Express. The 3" version might also be worth a look.

It has a similar response to the TC9FD but needs about 1/3 the power for the same SPL. I was about to buy a pair of these for my Troglodyte speakers before I moved. They look like a very good candidate for this setup.

I have just fired up the first Manzi and it's a bit of a mixed bag. Lots of grainy midrange and treble plus some amazing very low notes occasionally. Seems like 4.7R padding is way too low for my room. Or could this be because I made the back of the Vifa baffle into something of a flare?
Either way, it's definitely a new kind of sound to me and some songs are pretty impressive nonetheless, I will definitely be working on it further!

Attachments

• 20170226_202602.jpg
    20170226_202602.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 723
Yeah you should be more like 8R on that resistor.

I have just fired up the first Manzi and it's a bit of a mixed bag. Lots of grainy midrange and treble plus some amazing very low notes occasionally. Seems like 4.7R padding is way too low for my room. Or could this be because I made the back of the Vifa baffle into something of a flare?
Either way, it's definitely a new kind of sound to me and some songs are pretty impressive nonetheless, I will definitely be working on it further!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well I 'm happy to hear you got it up and running, sorry to hear about the midrange. It should not be gritty and it should not be forward. Quite the reverse. As Scotto says, you may need to go to an 8ohm resistor, it is very room dependent.

You have a 22mH coil on the woofers, right?

I've only finished one side - perhaps the lower end would be stronger with a pair? It's standing a long way from the rear wall, some 7ft/2m.

I've tried some resistor and capacitor combinations that I had on hand and eventually got something pretty listenable. These are the values I settled on:
Pad: 10+4.7R (but I'm tempted to go even higher)
Trap: 8.2R (I tried 10R, but ended up losing all sparkle, so went back to stock)
Cap: 5.9uF (I bought a 5.6uF and 6.8uF plus I had three 0.1uF leftovers; 5.6uF sounded hollow, 6.8uF - congested, 6uF seems to be indeed the ideal)

My bass components are 22mH 0.58DCR + trap 15uF/0.2mH.

Attachments

• 20170313_025306.jpg
    20170313_025306.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
Leon,
Don't forget to reverse the polarity of the Vifa. - to + and + to -

I've only finished one side - perhaps the lower end would be stronger with a pair? It's standing a long way from the rear wall, some 7ft/2m.

I've tried some resistor and capacitor combinations that I had on hand and eventually got something pretty listenable. These are the values I settled on:
Pad: 10+4.7R (but I'm tempted to go even higher)
Trap: 8.2R (I tried 10R, but ended up losing all sparkle, so went back to stock)
Cap: 5.9uF (I bought a 5.6uF and 6.8uF plus I had three 0.1uF leftovers; 5.6uF sounded hollow, 6.8uF - congested, 6uF seems to be indeed the ideal)

My bass components are 22mH 0.58DCR + trap 15uF/0.2mH.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for more info.

Yes, having two will change the tonal balance. Wait until you have two to do the tweaking.
7 feet from the wall is too much, you're going to lose bass and a lot of mid-bass. About 3ft or 1 meter off the wall is better. That distance will be room and sidewall dependent.

@Pano So close to the wall is bad, but too far is just as bad :D I wish I'd known that before I started :rolleyes: Loss of bass and mid-bass is exactly what I have!

@Barry It's got two hours on it, if that. I'll give it some time, cheers. I bought a 3mm cork mat intending to glue it around Vifa, to make up for it not being flush with wood. I was considering felt too, not sure if one is better than the other (cork vs felt)?

Anyway, I will finish the other speaker as soon as possible and then carry on tweaking. Thanks for the support, I feel so much more confident thanks to you guys!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You're welcome! Distance from the wall is important with all open baffle speakers. Too little and you get no bass, too much and you can also lose it - tho it sounds different.

When you get both running, experiment with the distance. Start at about 1 meter.

@Barry It's got two hours on it, if that. I'll give it some time, cheers. I bought a 3mm cork mat intending to glue it around Vifa, to make up for it not being flush with wood. I was considering felt too, not sure if one is better than the other (cork vs felt)?

I used felt as it was easy to find. Cork is good, too, but I don't have experience using it. Xrk971 says Scotchbrite pads are even better than felt.

When you have both speakers up and running and you can play with their placement in the room you'll find it enlightening. Open baffle speakers can sound wonderful but their sound can change enormously by moving them a few inches here or there. It's amazing.

Last night a fellow audiophile friend came to listen to my new baby and we tweaked the speaker some more.

First, we established that by moving it to 1m from the wall did indeed flesh the music. It wasn't enough though, it still didn't sound right in comparison with a good HiFi floorstander - there were some distinct bass notes, but strangely disconnected from the rest of the music, male vocals sounded thin and upper midrange was shouty.

So we grabbed a tone generator app and played some tones. Turned out the speaker was very much unbalanced - above 600Hz or so it was loud, below that it was quiet.

So I went and installed a ridiculous 18R pad and finally we were onto something. The music started to gel, and the speakers blended together into a coherent performance. I felt Vifa could do with slightly more padding, but even as it was, it played some very satisfying music.

Also, I discovered a slight gap between Vifa and the baffle, so I may have been unfair to this little speaker. I'll re-mount it today and see what difference that makes.

In any case, I am starting to fall in love with Manzi! :hbeat: Especially the Peerless part - the bass is ridiculous on that speaker, it is easily both the meatiest AND the most airy tuneful bass I've ever heard!

Also, I discovered a slight gap between Vifa and the baffle, so I may have been unfair to this little speaker. I'll re-mount it today and see what difference that makes.

BINGO! The gap is the problem.

How do I know? Well, let's just say my woodworking skills aren't all that good ...

My speakers had a gap around the Vifa and the sound was very much like you describe it. Too thin with a pronounced rise in the mids and treble. A bit of rope caulk around the Vifa filled in the gap nicely and the midrange fleshed out.

I'm going to guess you'll have to change the resistor again after the gap gets fixed.