F6 Amplifier

I am not sure what the relevance is for "AC ground". What is important are the bias voltages relative to the bottom of the FET source resistors. We are trying to maintain these voltages at constant levels under varying signal conditions.
The AC drive signal to the upper JFET will be relatively larger in magnitude than for the lower JFET. In your opinion is it or not?

Last edited:
The AC drive signal to the upper JFET will be relatively larger in magnitude than for the lower JFET. In your opinion is it or not?

The AC drive signal is the same for both secondaries of the transformer (they don't know how they are being used). If you have a different resistance across one of the secondaries you may change the amplitude.
Please explain how could the AC drive signal be different in the secondaries?

Rush

now choose Rs value & Iq , and calculate that in.

ZM will allow at least 1mA through trimpot , and 3mA through zenner

Attachments

• f6.jpg
    f6.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 286
No it isn't ripple or noise.

The objective is to present nearly identical bias conditions to the 2 output FETs. The ideal scenario is when both bias voltages are referenced to the bottom of the FET source resistors. But, to maintain a low and stable DC output offset, the upper bias generator is referenced to ground.

The solution is to integrate the upper bias voltage relative to the output signal (the bottom of the upper source resistor), hence the RC filter.
The AC currents through the transformer windings also modulate the voltages across the integrating capacitors, will cancel if the AC impedances of the bias circuits are the same, thus minimizing 2nd order harmonic distortion. This is accomplished by having identical filters in each bias circuit.

I found in both simulation and actual breadboard testing that single stage RC filters with large values of RC could create low frequency (<< 1Hz) oscillation problems. LTSpice Bode plots show phase margin problems under these conditions.

The 2-pole RC filter eliminates the phase margin problem and makes it possible to make RC as large as desired.

So the 2 pole filter allows bootstrapping of bias section to output node , as Nelson suggested.

The AC drive signal is the same for both secondaries of the transformer (they don't know how they are being used). If you have a different resistance across one of the secondaries you may change the amplitude.
Please explain how could the AC drive signal be different in the secondaries?

Rush
Rush and lhquam: Please see the attached simplified schematic depicting AC drive. The circuit of the upper JFET is different from that of the lower JFET. Will this mean that the AC drive to the upper JFET is identical [or not] to that of the lower JFET? I do not have the skill or knowledge to answer it.

Attachments

• JFetACdrive.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 119
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wrong assumption , A.

each coil is fed with bias voltage via , say , 10K resistor ;

what's happening on feeding side of 10K resistor is what makes difference between halves , considering that on upper side 10K resistor will slide up and down , along with it's coil , while on lower side everything is stayin' lazy , leaned on neg rail

wrong assumption , A.

each coil is fed with bias voltage via , say , 10K resistor ;

what's happening on feeding side of 10K resistor is what makes difference between halves , considering that on upper side 10K resistor will slide up and down , along with it's coil , while on lower side everything is stayin' lazy , leaned on neg rail

Thank you Zen Mod for your explanation. Since the AC drive to the upper JFET is identical to that of the lower JFET, it follows that lhquam has created a successful clone of F6. Undoubtedly there were additional successful clones in the hands of kasey197, triode_al, bobodioulasso, and others.

Congratulations on your achievement.

Zen Mod: Is the mission to unravel Conceptual F6 accomplished? Where to next? What are the upcoming hurdles? Your thoughts.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks, ZM

If only i had a transformer and R100s.
Where to find Jensens in Europe?

I can help you with the answer I got on my request some time ago:

"Thank you for your interest in Jensen Transformers. I apology for the delay in sending you an answer to your email below.

At the present time we do not have a distributor in your area, so you can place an order directly with us. Your cost for two each of our model JT-11-FLPCH output transformer would be $135.67 each in US Dollars, plus shipping. They are in stock now.

We recommend shipping by US Air Mail 1st Class Priority Flat Rate for a cost of $16.95. We can fit the two transformers inside the small Flat Rate box that the US post office uses. It should take about 1-2 weeks to arrive to you.

Therefore, the complete total for your order would be $35.67 x 2 = $71.34 + $16.95 = $88.29 in US Dollars.

You can place an order for the transformers by fax or email. Be sure to include your complete address and credit card information. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. If you are using a Visa card or MasterCard, please include the additional 3-digit code that is on the back of the card, located on the strip where you sign your name. If using American Express, please include the additional 4-digit code that is printed on the front of the card.

We also accept payment by PayPal at: *paypal@jensen-transformers.com"

I did not quite understand the first price mentioned, but the last information, more clear to me, says that we can get in Europe two xformers for around 90 $ normal shipping, fair price....:D

Last edited:
I can help you with the answer I got on my request some time ago:

"Thank you for your interest in Jensen Transformers. I apology for the delay in sending you an answer to your email below.

At the present time we do not have a distributor in your area, so you can place an order directly with us. Your cost for two each of our model JT-11-FLPCH output transformer would be $135.67 each in US Dollars, plus shipping. They are in stock now.

We recommend shipping by US Air Mail 1st Class Priority Flat Rate for a cost of $16.95. We can fit the two transformers inside the small Flat Rate box that the US post office uses. It should take about 1-2 weeks to arrive to you.

Therefore, the complete total for your order would be $35.67 x 2 = $71.34 + $16.95 = $88.29 in US Dollars.

You can place an order for the transformers by fax or email. Be sure to include your complete address and credit card information. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. If you are using a Visa card or MasterCard, please include the additional 3-digit code that is on the back of the card, located on the strip where you sign your name. If using American Express, please include the additional 4-digit code that is printed on the front of the card.

We also accept payment by PayPal at: *paypal@jensen-transformers.com"

I did not quite understand the first price mentioned, but the last information, more clear to me, says that we can get in Europe two xformers for around 90 $ normal shipping, fair price....:D

I'm pretty sure that transformer above doesn't have dual secondaries.
Try this one instead, $2 more:http://jensen-transformers.com/datashts/123flpch.pdf
This is the Jensen page you want: JENSEN TRANSFORMERS, INC. - LINE OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS and pick your poison.

Rush

Joined 2006
Paid Member
You could put quite a few of those transformers in one of the small International priority mail boxes. They weigh 3.5oz each box (max 4 lbs a box at 16oz per pound). Could still add some bubble wrap padding on them.
I added the R100A and transformer size for perspective, with a little help from my therapist, Dr. Freud. So four of them don't need two of the boxes Generg if that's what they said.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 367
Joined 2009
Paid Member