F6 Amplifier

I might do that...the PS case will be directly beneath the amp case; size considerations make it impossible to place the PS beneath or behind the desk so on top it goes. The umbilical will be a foot or so long. Got a Hammond electrical fixture (case) and have installed the transformer and a couple of other things thus far, will be after the diodes today. I was going to use Powercon connectors but when I received one I realized how far behind the case it'd stick...ugly (and this build is going to be monumentally ugly, my first time with a case...or cases). And because it's a "stereo" PS, would require two Powercons, AND the earth wire running back to the thermistor/earth ground point in the PS from the point where the audio PCBs connect. Going to run DC power, braided, to a barrier strip inside the audio case, so you'd have to remove the amp top to disconnect power physically. Going to be hella ugly. Already is. Mouser didn't have the PS case without "knockouts" so UGLY!

I've been collecting components for this build for nearly a year. This is very exciting and am of course hoping I don't blow it up. Will definitely be using the light bulb testing fixture trick...thanks to everyone...

Last edited:
The XS doesn't use powercon.
Powercon only comes as a 3 conductor plug. Speakon can come in 2,4,and 8 conductor.
If I assume correctly, the XS transfers DC via the umbilical. In that case you need a minimum of 4 conductors, +ve, -ve, power common, and safety ground.
Powercon's are used with AC which generally only require 3 conductors, Live, Neutral and Ground.

We've been through this before but I will quote it again from the manual.

"Power Connection – The power supply and channel chassis are
connected by an umbilical cable with Neutrik Powercon connectors.
These connectors have a locking mechanism which requires a
clockwise turn after insertion. Be certain that this connector
locks properly. The little lock button will click upon locking. After
it has been turned and locked it will not rotate back unless you push
the locking button. Do not attempt to make or undo this connection
while the power supply is plugged into the AC outlet."

OK. Good luck finding an 8 pole Powercon... Or a 4 pole one for that matter.

Just a warning though unless you are only using only one DC pole, a 3 pole connector for DC is dangerous. You will have no safety earth, and combining power common and safety earth without ground lift is dangerous!

Last edited:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I guess it is a bit random at this point, but...
That fact that in audition, Nelson was saying, people preferred MOSFETs over SS. I was doing this comparison in ACA, F6 and J2 clone vs AJ. If you ask me, SS provide much less coloration and mid very real, but the lack the most top end(even if it is coloration) that airness and sparkles. I was wondering what actual physical parameters can be responsible for that?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I guess it is a bit random at this point, but...
That fact that in audition, Nelson was saying, people preferred MOSFETs over SS. I was doing this comparison in ACA, F6 and J2 clone vs AJ. If you ask me, SS provide much less coloration and mid very real, but the lack the most top end(even if it is coloration) that airness and sparkles. I was wondering what actual physical parameters can be responsible for that?

May I ak you which amp had the most sparkle and airness......?

Seldom that someone hears all this amps side by side.....

:):)