Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it's still there (#1)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gallery/data/500/xF6_DIY_SCH.gif

xF6_DIY_SCH.gif

check browser cookies usw.

(double post, sorry; internet hiccough)

Power supply question...am building P2P amp channels to mount in the center of the heat sinks, and am concerned at Papa's recent statement about shielding the audio transformers and PS transformer in the same case still leaving some low-level noise, and want to go with an external PS. Figuring Powercon connectors and some 3-6 feet of 14AWG stranded between cases. Being a noob, must confirm some basic things:

-Earth ground to case in both PS case and amp chassis, right?
-6 feet of connector cable is okay, or should it be kept shorter and the PS case kept directly beneath the amp chassis?
-Anything I'm overlooking in this sort of setup?

Very close to finishing my SS 125A F6 build, thanks to everyone, especially the Illustrated F5 Build thread...

Last edited:
Power supply question...am building P2P amp channels to mount in the center of the heat sinks, and am concerned at Papa's recent statement about shielding the audio transformers and PS transformer in the same case still leaving some low-level noise, and want to go with an external PS. Figuring Powercon connectors and some 3-6 feet of 14AWG stranded between cases. Being a noob, must confirm some basic things:

-Earth ground to case in both PS case and amp chassis, right?
-6 feet of connector cable is okay, or should it be kept shorter and the PS case kept directly beneath the amp chassis?
-Anything I'm overlooking in this sort of setup?

Very close to finishing my SS 125A F6 build, thanks to everyone, especially the Illustrated F5 Build thread...

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The entire point of a separate PSU (other than looking really cool...)is to keep the power transformer away from the other stuff. 6 foot is good.

Use a well-shielded cable (I.E., braid, not just foil...), the shield can be chassis safety earth connection from the PSU to the amp.

Hopefully the last question regarding external PS...I'm hoping to have a minimal footprint on my build due to extreme lack of space/tiny living area...is it acceptable to have in a PS case, the transformer, soft start, and diode boards, and the smoothing caps and resistors in the amp case, connected by about a 6" braided 14G or so set of cable? PS would be directly beneath the amp case, same width and depth. Would of course ventilate the PS case a bit and use big rubber feet on the amp case to provide airflow space between them. Sides will be clear of obstruction.

I could attain a 10" wide by 14" deep profile on both cases which would work very well for my desk top. 6" open space inside the amp case with 2" each heat sink "height" provides space for the amp cards (center of heat sink) and the cap boards.

Hopefully the last question regarding external PS...I'm hoping to have a minimal footprint on my build due to extreme lack of space/tiny living area...is it acceptable to have in a PS case, the transformer, soft start, and diode boards, and the smoothing caps and resistors in the amp case, connected by about a 6" braided 14G or so set of cable? .

I would add a smaller set of caps in the amp side as well too since you are using an umbilical cord.