• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F5T Premium kit GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RdK 845 - V3, PSU - Yes
RusselC - V2, PSU - Yes
Dane - V2, PSU - Yes
mkoerner - V2 (2), V3 (1)
mordikai - V2 (2), PSU - yes
mordikai - V3 (2), PSU - yes
sts9fan - V3, PSU - yes
Naturlyd - V2 (2), V3 (2), PSU - yes
Wijgers - V2, PSU - no
SRMcGee - V3, PSU - yes
skunark - V3, PSU - yes
Tytte71 - V3, PSU - yes
Bugzbunny - V3 (2), PSU - Yes
Kvorning- V3(2), PSU -Yes
wjh - V2, PSU - yes
backefel - V2, PSU -yes
Lo_Tse - V3, PSU - no

RdK 845 - V3 (2) , PSU (2) - Yes
RusselC - V2, PSU - Yes
Dane - V2, PSU - Yes
sts9fan - V3, PSU - yes
Wijgers - V2, PSU - no
SRMcGee - V3, PSU - yes
skunark - V3, PSU - yes
Tytte71 - V3, PSU - yes
wjh - V2, PSU - yes
backefel - V2, PSU -yes
Lo_Tse - V3, PSU - no

I want to join the GB but I am not able to access or modify any spreadsheets on this because I have an iPad :( is there a way I can do this?

I want the V1 turbo standard kit. Do the PSU components need to be specified separately?

As well, payment or deposit, is it required up front?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I want to join the GB but I am not able to access or modify any spreadsheets on this because I have an iPad :( is there a way I can do this?

I want the V1 turbo standard kit. Do the PSU components need to be specified separately?

As well, payment or deposit, is it required up front?

Just add yourself to the list. You will be notified here when pay up time is. Just add name, what version and whether or not you want the PS.

Russellc

Maybe it's a question for the build thread but modushop is offering a 5U case with a depth of 500mm (that is, 100mm more than the standard one). Would that be suitable for a F5T V3 or is it still recommended with a pair of mono blocks? I'm mostly concerned that the heat sinks won't be large enough.

It's a lot of heat. I would be hesitant to recommend it for anything other than monoblocks. Wih stereo version, you have 8 fets on a single sink. You could back off the current some, setting bias at 300mV across Rs and maybe be OK. I really need to finish my V3 using TeaBags board to come up with some numbers. Lets see what I can do this weekend and I will let yo know.

It's a lot of heat. I would be hesitant to recommend it for anything other than monoblocks. Wih stereo version, you have 8 fets on a single sink. You could back off the current some, setting bias at 300mV across Rs and maybe be OK. I really need to finish my V3 using TeaBags board to come up with some numbers. Lets see what I can do this weekend and I will let yo know.

Perfect, thanks!

backefel,
Here is a pic of my current V2. It is on side by side Heastink USA 10.08 profile that is 6" tall and 16" deep. The fins are longer, but not anodized black. I would have no problem putting the V3 on this setup, but it would be pushing it a bit, especially considering it is not enclosed. With a well vented bottom and top, i think it would be ok. Put it all on a granite shelf with a 120mm fan mounted in the center and you are set. Truthfully, mounting fets directly to sinks would help somewhat, as the spreader causes efficiency loss. Just a bit of reference.

Attachments

• DSC_0136.JPG
    DSC_0136.JPG
    699 KB · Views: 206
RdK 845 - V3 (2) , PSU (2) - Yes
RusselC - V2, PSU - Yes
Dane - V2, PSU - Yes
sts9fan - V3, PSU - yes
Wijgers - V2, PSU - no
SRMcGee - V3, PSU - yes
skunark - V3, PSU - yes
Tytte71 - V3, PSU - yes
wjh - V2, PSU - yes
backefel - V2, PSU -yes
Lo_Tse - V3, PSU - no
RKH - V3, PSU - yes

OK guys. Need a response on this one. I was hoping to get Panasonic T-HA 63V, 18mF ($7.70/cap)caps, due to their quality and longevity. This is basically their best product in large caps. We have a problem on that front. They do not have qty to fill our need and the wait is almost 4 months for more. We can drop down to the TSUP series 50V 22,000uF($5.65/cap) caps and get them cheaper and immediately, or wait on the beefier T-HA. I have been using the TSUP and they are fine, but liked the idea of upgrade. The choice is yours. Please respond with opinions.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The TS-UP is a fine cap, and I doubt that the increase in price for the T-HA will give a similar increase in performance, especially when the difference in capacitance is taken into account.

:D

(I am going to wait until the next round of group buy, so take my comments with a grain of salt...)

I would tend to agree with 6L6 on performance. The greatest benefit is longer life and higher current rating at temperature. The T-HA can handle about twice as much current at the temps we are talking about inside amp case. I suggested because for some, this will be the last amp they build and may want the longevity.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The greatest benefit is longer life and higher current rating at temperature. The T-HA can handle about twice as much current at the temps we are talking about inside amp case. I suggested because for some, this will be the last amp they build and may want the longevity.

And that is a very important consideration.

In terms of implementation, regardless of capacitor chosen, I would endeavor to ventilate the interior of the case as much as possible, to minimize the overall temperature. (Which, of course, is good for all the components, especially the caps.)

In my case, waiting time of 4 month or more is a deal killer for the cap. Want to run this as winter amp, will use less in Summer.
Since I will be doing mono blocks I will have smaller foot print per block than stereo case, so I can afford to use mechanically weaker perforated sheet for top and bottom to maximize the ventilation. Within well ventilated case, the cap temperature would be considerably lower than the heat sink temperature.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.