F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'll take 4 too.

One last request: Can the power/feedback resistor locations have a second option for TO-220 Caddock-style resistors? Just extend the track inward and provide a second mounting point.

Found a nice supplier for Caddocks for all the values @$2 each.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'll take 4 too.

One last request: Can the power/feedback resistor locations have a second option for TO-220 Caddock-style resistors? Just extend the track inward and provide a second mounting point.

Found a nice supplier for Caddocks for all the values @$2 each.

Do you have a part number?
I'd like to get the datasheet to check lead diameter and spacings.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi,

I was thinking of individual sinks, TO-220 style. Fastening to board would not be necessary, I'll cut the sinks down to size and stick them on with thermal tape. The resistors dissipated about 2W each in the original F5 with 24V rails, IINM.

Those were 50 ohm, with 24V rails.

Methinks that with 220 ohms and 35V rails would result in even less dissipation so not sure heatsinks are needed. The resistors are rated to 2.25W in free air last I remember.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
UKToecutter said:
One thing I don't have an idea of is the demand. How many to order??

My guess would be enough for at least 200 amplifiers. Let's face it, there hasn't been a high-power PapaDIY amp in quite some time, this design will probably interest new people to the church of DIY Pass amps purely because of the power.

And don't forget the choir as well, we will all want one. :D :D :D

Anyway, put me down for a stereo pair of amp boards and a PSU board.

Power Supply Boards

I'm concerened about the size of the PSU board.
It measures 250mm x 80mm.
What cases are you guys considering?

I can move them a fraction closer together but I'm concerned about manufacturing tolerences. It would be a nightmare if they didn't fit.

Could you double row each rail? Also, if you use 30mm diameter, we would have more options. Or make provision for either 25mm or 30mm where the 30mm overlapped the 25mm rings, but use less 30mm caps. Something like this:
Mouser Part #: 667-ECO-S1HP153DA
Manufacturer Part #:
ECO-S1HP153DA
Manufacturer:
Panasonic Electronic Components
Description: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Snap In 15000UF 50V ELECT TSUP

I'm concerened about the size of the PSU board.
It measures 250mm x 80mm.
What cases are you guys considering?

I can move them a fraction closer together but I'm concerned about manufacturing tolerences. It would be a nightmare if they didn't fit.

I'd try doubling up the capacitors (4 caps wide). I'm thinking it will be easier for most people to deal with a power supply board that is 6" wide than one that is 10" long. A shorter board would definitely leave more room for transformers.

I too like the suggestion of leaving space for 30mm diameter caps if possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.