F5 Turbo Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought DIYstore had F5t boards being done ...?

Also Toecutter had test boards made up and they were sent out, has anyone finish testing boards , I guess boards were taken with no return info..

Toe may be frustrated over this .... No return effort !!!!

A.wanye,

You have missed my posts then.
1530, 1471, 1415, 1401, 1375, 1310, 1308, 1305 to name a few.

Post # 1401 is the "It's Alive" post of the one channel working.

I am grateful for being able to prototype the boards and for the Mosfets I received to help the process along.
I hope others realize that I gave as much feedback on the boards as I could. The distortion stuff is/was beyond the scope of my prototyping as the issues I found were important, (2SC4793 and 2SA1837 were shown backwards on the boards, and value of R25/R26) but related to function not distortion issues with the design.
If anyone has any questions, after reviewing my posts, please feel free to PM me directly or reply here.

Rush

Yes, I used 4, two per channel $188 total shipped.
But, you might want to wait for the enclosures from the DIYStore. A lot less work and might save a few dollars as well. The heatsinks will be predrilled.

Rush

i already have the same sinks:) 150mm lenght. and drilling and tapping is no problem:)
how is the heat at the center? the inner fets is close to the edge.
i also use the same sinks for my F5 with higher bias and dual outputs, and the sinks are hot inthe middle and cold on the ends.

how is the heat at the center? the inner fets is close to the edge.
i also use the same sinks for my F5 with higher bias and dual outputs, and the sinks are hot inthe middle and cold on the ends.

Yep, hot in the center, cold on the ends.

Might do better with the DIYStore heatsink/enclosures. I don't know their prices, but it would be nice to support DIYAUDIO instead of another vendor.

Rush

Might do better with the DIYStore heatsink/enclosures. I don't know their prices, but it would be nice to support DIYAUDIO instead of another vendor.

Rush

then i must use 2 of the biggest chssis. they also have split sinks, so the problem remains. i have the V3 boards. so i just cut the output boards in half, and get the fets monted more centered on the 2 sinks. a 10mm baseplate only transfers heat well at max 100mm radius.

A.wanye,

You have missed my posts then.
1530, 1471, 1415, 1401, 1375, 1310, 1308, 1305 to name a few.

Post # 1401 is the "It's Alive" post of the one channel working.

I am grateful for being able to prototype the boards and for the Mosfets I received to help the process along.
I hope others realize that I gave as much feedback on the boards as I could. The distortion stuff is/was beyond the scope of my prototyping as the issues I found were important, (2SC4793 and 2SA1837 were shown backwards on the boards, and value of R25/R26) but related to function not distortion issues with the design.
If anyone has any questions, after reviewing my posts, please feel free to PM me directly or reply here.

Rush

Thanks Rush ,

I may have missed 1401, toe may have taken comments about issues and changes as being insulting instead of progressive. Anyway only one board tested out of the many sent out may also have been a put off ...

Do you have anything more to report, did you ever complete a second channel ? any changes ?

Rush

Are you using a heat spreader ... ? Ok looked .. nope .... !!!

Last edited:
Thanks Rush ,

I may have missed 1401, toe may have taken comments about issues and changes as being insulting instead of progressive. Anyway only one board tested out of the many sent out may also have been a put off ...

Do you have anything more to report, did you ever complete a second channel ? any changes ?

Are you using a heat spreader ... ?

A.wanye,

Only the comments and changes are in my posts. The boards I received are good, the ones going in the DIYStore are different, but I put my 2 cents in on those too.
I am very direct and maybe I have offended some, I apologize if that is the case.
I know Toecutter works offshore and is gone for days if not weeks at a time.

I never finished the second channel. I was reluctant to take on the responsibility of building a prototype amp to completion, but it occurred to me that I could certainly get one channel up and running without an enclosure and that would revel any errors in the boards, which was the idea of having testers in the first place.
I guess I am the only one to report back my findings, maybe others read my posts about my findings and saw no need to add to prefection :) (That was a joke, son!)

I would definitely use a copper heat spreader for the final iteration. I bought 2 copper plates 1/4" thick, 4" wide and 11" long to complete the project. Probably should have gotten longer pieces, but you get what you can find. Copper is expensive!

I just have too many other irons in the fire right now.

I have a phono preamp in the works with an internal crossover that needs to be finished first. Then I will need the f5 -Turbo amp.

Rush

Here is what my final build will be in. You can see the aluminum heat spreader. It is 3/8" thick. The pensil line is where the center of the fets will heat. It should maximize the efficiency of the heatsink within my capabilities. I know this will dissipate about 150W, as I have had that much on it. It is starting to push the threshold and depends on room temp, but it does maintain proper temps. I do have a ceiling.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.JPG
    DSC_0076.JPG
    747.3 KB · Views: 323
Just to update since there were a few requests, I only lack outputs from Buzzforb to get up and running. I know he is continuing to work on matching them- not a particularly fun job IMHO.

IMix,
You will be happy to know that yours went in a bag last night. They will be to you by the weekend. I lack only a couple days of P channel matching. Sorting will hopefully go quickly as I have tried to set up the matching process to make the end quicker than the beginning. We will see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.