F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Attach your pics.

Since the first post is editable for ever by the originator, you can add script at the time of posting or later.
You can add further script some days/weeks/months down the road. You can remove errors if any come to light.
Just attach your pics, to your new Thread where you can give as many details as you want.

Looking very nice! Why do you have four transformers? One for POS rail, one for NEG, and then the same again in the other monoblock?

Also, what inrush limiter / turn-on delay boards are these?

Yes, one transformer per rail. (two in each mono) I already had one pair of transformers 300va 0-35 0-35. So only had to buy two more. Giving 600va per monoblock.

The 'soft starts' are from a company called Avondale Audio here in the UK the product is SSM2.

Thanks for the info AndrewT

My F5 is now finished, but I have a little problem now, when the power is on there is a silent hum sound on my right channel. If I connect only the left side of my F5 there is no hum sound at all. When I connect both of them and I touch my Case of the Amp the hum sound is also gone. Whats the meaning of this ?

I solved the problem by myself, but I have a little problem left. If I switch the amp on, it hums a little and if I knock with my finger on the front casing the hum sound is completely gone. If I switch it off and on again it's there again... Is my Volume Potentiometer faulty ? (It's an old Alps 100K). Or do I still have problems with the earthing ?

regards

So, moving on with my mono build project and the second mono coming together..

Quad jfets arrived...and installed. These were the last bits Ive been waiting for...

Building up....putting the jigsaw together..just some wiring to be done and the initial bench PSU power up.

nearly done....

A three hour soak at .3v bias and less than 5mv . All good.

And the all important listening test......what can I say...WOW...The stereo F5t amp consigned to the lower ranks at the rear.

Last edited:
I solved the problem by myself, but I have a little problem left. If I switch the amp on, it hums a little and if I knock with my finger on the front casing the hum sound is completely gone. If I switch it off and on again it's there again... Is my Volume Potentiometer faulty ? (It's an old Alps 100K). Or do I still have problems with the earthing ?

regards
That intermittant hum could be a stray wire touching the chassis and creating a loop.

Did. Works fine.

Do need to watch total drain resistance on the jfets though, it needs to be close to the original figure else the OLG drops a bit.

Thanks for reply Sangram, but I did not understand - re total drain resistance- why would it change? I haven't assumed any mods in the original schematics, only extra thermoswitches, triggering, say, at 70-75 Celsius degrees and disconnecting from mains.