F5 power amplifier

Well, in principle you can use Patricks variant also with laterals as the 2SK1530 has already really low VGS.

However, don't forget that laterals have much less transconductance, which translates into lower gain and higher output impedance. You need about a pair to get the same values as a single vertical fet; in that case gate capacitances are about the same again (though more linear).

Go for it, if you want.

Have fun, Hannes

balanced version

Sorry 'garborbela' (?), forgot to add this...

There is balanced design started by Tino on post 130 (p6) and further taken up by EUVL on #1186 (p48).
TimS (NZ) also did a design on #135 and continued... (he also did a rather good one for headphones)

Hope this will get you started in the right direction.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Better to wait

gaborbela said:
Hello
I think for me it will be the best if I wait until Mr N Pass will sare with us the F6 which after some information will be the Balanced verision .
Thanks one more time .
Greetings

If it comes out as anticipated, you had better have LU1014 power jfets on hand or start sourcing some now. The F6 is supposed to be higher power version of F3 I believe.

Using 2SK1058 in the DAP follower

Do bear in mind that the LU1014 is being used in "triode" mode, and thus the characteristics of the cascode device plays a more important role than a "penthode" device like normal MOSFETs. I would encourage you to try this, but be prepared to vary the cascode gate voltage AND the source resistor value. In any case, always try to measure Id vs Vgs of the LU1014 directly until you get a linear operating regime. I would guess that you would need to reduce the value of both to get optimal results, due to the lower transconductance (or higher effective resistance) of the 2SK1058.

Or if you have reliable Spice models for both, that would make the initial optimisation a bit easier.

Patrick

PS I propose that we should shift any further discussion to the follower thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128571&pagenumber=3