F5 power amplifier

Tubeshunter and jimsaudio are reputable vendors, I also like douksmall. Of course there will be someone with a disputing opinion. In Western Australia the postage rates are crazy expensive, we wait 2-3 weeks for a package from the U.S., the shipping much less expensive and is sometimes faster coming from China. Hard to find parts in low quantities are usually available from some Pacific Rim vendor, in the U.S. Digikey and Mouser are tough to beat. I have returned parts to Chinese vendors, which were ordered in error (wrong part) these folks bent over backwards to send me the correct part. I would never go outside of Ebay with the ironclad buyer protection. I'm not concerned about the politics!

With a tight budget I never hesitate buying components from China using eBay. There are a number of well established vendors with a track record.

With the high price of transformers, powersupply caps, and heatsinks/chassis, there is not much money you can save on the amp circuit as a percentage of the total cost by sourcing questionable cheap parts.
I'm quite happy buying some things from China but F5 is not a great example for doing this, there is not much in the amp circuit to start with, that you can save a significant amount of money on.

If you are struggling with finances often members will help you with some parts to get you started.

There had to be a dissenting opinion. Obviously the transformers are sourced locally, my F5 Turbo V3 build uses 6 U.S. Dale power resistors, 2 Soviet VU meters, a scrap 3U chassis from a university laboratory, and locally sourced heatsinks, everything else is from China.

Last edited:
Ive gone and decided to order all the parts from diyaudio getting the Linear Systems Fets and IRFP for better or worse :)

Does anyone know about using inductors on the F5 and any other mods ? and would I need to change any components for using the Linear Systems Fets ?

Would one use Dale Resistors ? Im just trying to get the best parts to make the best sounding F5, I also might mod it to the Turbo V1 later on.

Last edited:
Im just trying to get the best parts to make the best sounding F5, I also might mod it to the Turbo V1 later on.

Another question my rails will be 24v one volt higher than schematic

when you have completed your best sounding F5, then you can find other diyers around you who has another FW clone which is not F5. You'll be suprised :)

do you measure your psu without connecting to F5? Then it will be around 21V-22V when loaded. so dont worry, I get my psu 26V unloaded

There had to be a dissenting opinion. Obviously the transformers are sourced locally, my F5 Turbo V3 build uses 6 U.S. Dale power resistors, 2 Soviet VU meters, a scrap 3U chassis from a university laboratory, and locally sourced heatsinks, everything else is from China.

Not really dissenting. I'm all for recycling bits and pieces and purchasing whatever you can get reliably from China.
It's just that the amp is made up of mostly cheap parts already eg mostly cheap resistors.

Anyway never mind about that. Tell us how much you enjoy your F5 Turbo amp.
Do you have a picture?
Congratulations on completing a very nice amp.

Spencer already increased jfet price, i think that it will be around $19/pair. I have bought from alweit for my previous build, which is $14/pair, hopefully he will not increase it too. I paid same price in this month for 4pairs.

diyAudio - View Profile: alweit

just got my package, shipped on 10May. I also find some ebay seller for this precious jfet, but I'd rather trust our fellow member here, h_a for matched mosfet, alweit for matched jfet

Attachments

• IMG20160601162759.jpg
    IMG20160601162759.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 318
when you have completed your best sounding F5, then you can find other diyers around you who has another FW clone which is not F5. You'll be suprised :)

do you measure your psu without connecting to F5? Then it will be around 21V-22V when loaded. so dont worry, I get my psu 26V unloaded
Thanks ..yes
I'll find out what unloaded PSU is :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Looking at pictures it appears to have less than half the heat-sink area of a 4U case from the store.
Also the transformer and power supply are quite large and may be difficult to fit.

You could build an F5 and keep the biasing well down to control temperature but you are probably sacrificing audio quality by doing so.

Others will no doubt comment

Looking at pictures it appears to have less than half the heat-sink area of a 4U case from the store.
Also the transformer and power supply are quite large and may be difficult to fit.

You could build an F5 and keep the biasing well down to control temperature but you are probably sacrificing audio quality by doing so.

Others will no doubt comment

In theory the a500 are sized to 600w amp.