F5 power amplifier

I have simple mosfet non-NFB source follower PP in class A with single supply rail driven by tube preamp. And would like to convert the poweramp to F5 as I like the sound better. For me it is worthy to make the change, so if you can please be so kind and tell me what should I change in F5 circuitry to make it work with single supply rail?

Thank you.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm not sure the F5 is a suitable candidate for converting to single supply rail because of the twin feedback paths, and the high level of feedback itself (will need the half-supply to carry large currents).

May I suggest you look at alternative design from the F series, one of the other circuits already operates off a single supply with an output capacitor.

Look at this schematics, it is also run from single supply and has two feedback paths.

Attachments

• moskido%20push-pull%20class-a%20irfp%20version.png
    moskido%20push-pull%20class-a%20irfp%20version.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 558
Is 40000uf of capacitance per board to low? What is the lowest amount of capacitance you have used and how did the sound compare to using more capacitance? Just looking anecdotal info, not measurements.

Depends, on several factors:

1 and 2. Bias level and Volume (both set the current level thru the PSU rails)

3. Acceptable (to you) PSU ripple, and therefore audible hum.

Difficult to quantify PSU cap size, unless you first quanitfy the three factors, above.

Depends, on several factors:

1 and 2. Bias level and Volume (both set the current level thru the PSU rails)

3. Acceptable (to you) PSU ripple, and therefore audible hum.

Difficult to quantify PSU cap size, unless you first quanitfy the three factors, above.

1. Stock bias
2. stock 25Wrms is more then enough
3. No idea but I would prefer it to be un audible

It's hard to answer 3 when this is my first amp. I currently am using my F5 with a beefy 28-0-28 regulated PS that can put out 10amps continuous. I bought the gigawork F5 power supply because it was easy. It only has 40000uf per board (80000uf total). Before I finish the amp I want to make sure it isn't better to order some larger caps to replace what came with PS board.