F5 power amplifier

One F5 chanel draws 65w continuously.
Two channels 130w
220/130=0.59
Add some losses, but we are far from 3A.
At powering on , the peak current is huge but short.
2 x cl 60 in series will do the job easily

Im stupid, a 800 VA transformer wouldnt draw min 3A continuously. :eek:

Was thinking about full power out of the transformer. :flame:

I could probably do with a single CL60 then, I am bypassing the NTC with the relay anyway after 100-200 ms or so. But using 2 x CL60 might be a good idea, since the inrush current is huge for a 800 VA transformer.

I know most of this stuff but sometimes my mind wanders.....lol. :headbash:

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No one knows?

just go for it - it's just 3W across that cap :devily:

be sure to check it's temperature while gadget is live - connected to mains :devilr:

disclaimer - are you sure I'm bloody serious that you're in jeopardy if you're asking that sort of question , and playing with mains connected gadgets ?

basics first , playin' after that .

toyin' with 110/120/220/240Vac isn't best way of puzzle solving

Last edited:
just go for it - it's just 3W across that cap :devily:

be sure to check it's temperature while gadget is live - connected to mains :devilr:

disclaimer - are you sure I'm bloody serious that you're in jeopardy if you're asking that sort of question , and playing with mains connected gadgets ?

basics first , playin' after that .

toyin' with 110/120/220/240Vac isn't best way of puzzle solving

Eh, ok. Your answer is?........Im not totally sure....:confused:

Basically I just want to know if the higher value of the cap, 0.22uF vs 0.0033uF matters when it comes to filtering. Or if the 0.22uF cap will work fine as well.

Think Neutrality, think!
The cap presents a resistance to AC current and that resistance depends on frequency and capacity.
Question for you is: what is the relation between that resistance (let's call it Xc), capacity of the cap and frequency of the current?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zc=1/(2 x Pi x F x C) = 1/ (2 x Pi x 50 x 220x10^-9) = 14K5

so - that cap is same as 14K5 resistor across 220V , considering that you're from Danskeland ;

P=I^2 x R

so - I= U/R = 220/14K5 = 15mA ......

P= 15mA^2 x 14K5 = 3W35

imagine 5 or 9W resistor across mains , scorching hot - dissipating 3W35 ....... that's so-so imaginable ....... but cap dissipating same amount of heat - ringing "I'm gonna explode !! "

in any case - caps are cheap , but with presumable intention - to buy exact and proper ones

Speaking of mains filtering. I have some EMI filters in the form of cord plugs that I plan on using. Is there anyone else that has used this type of plug? It has a schematic on the sticker that appears to have a 0.1uF cap across the + and neutral, then 0.4 mH coils in series with both lines, and finally two 2200pF from + and neutral to the case.

Thanks,
Everett