F5 power amplifier

How does this look for part placement?

100_1057.jpg

I plan on mounting a third sink for a back plate, but you get the general idea. I was thinking the thick plate in the front would be a nice mount for the heavy toroid.

Thanks,
Everett

I was talking about this one

Yeah, Bear, I'm a bit off topic about that - sorry.

In a similar way, jackies & umut, the thread of "the best 10,000uF capacitor ..." has good discussion of the properties of various caps - a whole lot of good info there, better than I can do.

OK, i see which thread !

Thanks ichiban, that's the one - full of good info.

The capacitor thread is called "best electrolytic capacitors" and last post was may 20th and there was another one talking specifically about 10,000uF caps but can't find it myself, sorry - perhaps someone can assist?

The only disadvantage is that dust and cat hair accumulate
inside.

:cool:

I'll take the dust over the heat... dust comes out with a vacuum & brush.

Cat hair? Well, that comes out too... Worst case I put the whole thing
into the tub hit it with cleaner and hose it off... once every 5-8 years if ur in a very very dusty dirty environment. I'm not. And I run electrostatic air cleaners as well...Ymmv.

if you want to get really into it, you could make a provision for a HEPA single layer material on the "intake" side (bottom) that would effectively screen out 99.9% of that stuff...

Heat and things like caps do not go together... imo.

_-_-bear

_-_-bear

In the F5 manual the power supply is shown with a 0.0033uF cap used for mains filtering.

Would it be ok to use a 0.22 uF X2 275VAC cap instead?

Does it matter much which size you use?

Furthermore, I am most likely going to be using a 500-800VA transformer, with 230VAC primary/2 x 18VAC secondaries.

What size NTC is necessary? I am going to use the NTC in conjunction with a softstart circuit, where the NTC will act as the ballast resistor as well. The point is to make it more "safe" and fool proof. The relay would bypass the NTC putting alot less stress on it and in the event that the relay or circuit controlling the relay fails, the NTC will still be inline securing operation of the amplifier. With a fixed value ballast resistor, if the relay fails, the ballast resistor goes up in smoke, I want to avoid that situation.

Is one CL60 still enough or should I go for 2 x CL60 in series?

Last edited: