F5 power amplifier

samoloko said:
stein2 can you post a closer picture of your PSU - I would like to know how are you did gnd wiring
with so much capacitance how you are starting up - with soft start or cl-60 what value fuse you use

Sorry for the delay in response, I was away for almost a week on a business trip.
Now I'm back, and a question for you, do you mean my first attempt with wired connections or the new project with the PSU made on PCBs?

As for starting, there's a thermistor from a PC PSU, 10 Ohms NTC in series with the 230V/50Hz primer and a 0.1uF/250V capacitor taken from the contacts of the IEC connector from the same PC PSU connected in parallel with the primer of a 400VA transformer...

If you need a picture showing the PCB, I'll make a few, and if the older wired solution is what you want to see, I'll look for an image showing the details. In both cases there's no issue with hum, ground loop or any audible noise...

Bit too late to edit previous post. Here's an image how I did it without a printed board.
To the "0V" point goes the center tap from the transformer if one rectifier bridge is to be used, and I grounded the heatsinks because the "box" was made of MDF, not metal. In case that the housing is of metal, do not ground the heatsinks with anything, unless they are electrically insulated from the metal of the housing which will be grounded anyway.

Attachments

• groundingf5.jpg
    groundingf5.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,843
heh I had a bit of bad luck in helping a friend bring up a F5. He wasn't sure about the FQA devices and where they went, and said he used the locations on Jack's website. I figured that was right, so I decided to double-check the AudioExpress article and happened to read the paragraph in the "Parts Selection" that said Q3 is N-channel and Q4 was P-channel... so, it jived with Jacks website, so I figured... it must be right.... WRONG :eek:

Anyways, I first tried a 2.5A slo blo and then tried a 3.0A slo blo :whazzat: .. anyways, just blew the fuse both times. So, given what I did, are there any parts I should check? Voltage on the PSU rose like 5-6V then the fuse blew... I figured I could check the parts, but figured I'd be lazy and ask around :cool:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
luvdunhill said:
heh I had a bit of bad luck in helping a friend bring up a F5. He wasn't sure about the FQA devices and where they went, and said he used the locations on Jack's website. I figured that was right, so I decided to double-check the AudioExpress article and happened to read the paragraph in the "Parts Selection" that said Q3 is N-channel and Q4 was P-channel... so, it jived with Jacks website, so I figured... it must be right.... WRONG :eek:

Anyways, I first tried a 2.5A slo blo and then tried a 3.0A slo blo :whazzat: .. anyways, just blew the fuse both times. So, given what I did, are there any parts I should check? Voltage on the PSU rose like 5-6V then the fuse blew... I figured I could check the parts, but figured I'd be lazy and ask around :cool:

Luvdunhill,
I did the same thing out of sheer blindness and lack of double checking, brought it up only a few volts on the variac, but the bias was all weird compared to the other channel. I just swapped them and it ran fine.

luvdunhill said:

Reminds me of the line in Young Frankenstein: "Change negative to positive and minus to plus..."

Hmm, I thought folks would look at the schematic. I did Nelson's schematic in Multisim and transferred it to Ultiboard when I did my boards, but didn't bother to change the reference designators since I did them without a silk screen. I've never blown up an F5.

I'll change the identifiers anyway.

Pretty soon there won't be anymore F5's unless Panasonic starts to make the P-Channel JFETs.