F5 power amplifier

woodturner-fran said:
Stein2 - the motor run caps are the last ones in the PS right? Did you try the amp with and without them?

Fran

About heat: I could sleep on it, pleasantly warm, not hot :)

The amp was initially built without MR caps, tested and I found it works just fine, the addition of MR caps and removing the 0.1R series resistors in the PSU makes things even better. Faster and even more "corpulent"... Everyone should try it ;)

hi all
ive noticed that q3 and q4 are different in the tech diy parts list and the fig 6 schematic on mr pass site

eg fig 6 schematic says q3 =irfp9240 and q4 =irfp240

tech diy says the oposite q3 = irfp 240 etc

even in nelsons article they are swapped .eg. it is mentiond in the article that q3=irfp240 and q4= irfp9240

where as the fig 6 schematic in his article shows them opposite q3 irfp9240 and q4 irfp 240

which are the correct positions im confused !!!:bawling:

bobodioulasso said:
With this common source topology, the P channel mosfet is situated on the positive supply side.
Fairchilds are the best here, but IRFs work fine too.

I wouldn't say that the Fairchilds are necessarily "best" -- they don't suffer from a kink in the curve so the sound is reported to be a bit faster and more clinical than the IRF/Vishay devices. The FSC devices were a bit hard to get initially, so I put them in with the kits but either flavor is fine.

I've used both, but am considering selling off my F5 prototype boards and going back to the F4.

For anyone who's wondering where there "stuff" is -- I have been experiencing delays of up to 6 weeks on "Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box" to the UK. Pretty intolerable. I don't know whether they are opening up and examining for customs.

slr 5000 said:
sorry to be a pain guys
i just realised ive got the fairchild parts not irf
so q3 is fqa19n20c and q4 is fqa 12p20c correct?
is there much difference between the irf and fairchild devices

is one better than the other or are they same/same
what does nelson reccomend

thanks in advance
regards sheafer

There was an error in BOM I posted in GB thread, that was not my BOM and I didn't spot it as I was using IRFs. Here's the correction: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1794930#post1794930

This is what Nelson says: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1725328#post1725328

woodturner-fran said:
Less cross atlantic trade I reckon so they are waiting to fill a container. Bet thats the reason for the delay.

Fran

Things are getting to Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and France without too much delay. Packages to Germany are being opened for inspection which really holds them up. Everything going to Italy has to be sent "Registered" which takes forever.

After listening about an hour on F5(before I had the F3).
And with the 6,5" (The brown ones):

Stativ.jpg

There was with F3 a lack of bas,but with F5 there where more tighter bass..
I have sub 2.And there is air to..
Will listen more now.:)

AndrewT said:
DO NOT put your main Audio Ground on the wire/trace/plate between the smoothing caps.
Instead place the main Audio Ground near the midpoint of all the points that need to be referenced to it.
Then connect the PSU Zero volts between the smoothing caps to this Audio Ground.
Also, connect the PSU Zero volts to the chassis using a disconnecting network.

Hi Andrew
would you please advise proper way to do ground wiring to this pcb
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1771389&stamp=1236867942
as you see the pcb has two gnd Input pads which actually Is one thin gnd point (the signal and power ground are same)
thx