F5 Headamp ?

So finally some progress.

I have now a commitment from HK that the V1 PCB sets for s610adam & greyhorse can be shipped first half of April.
Our apologies for the delay.
Mark will invoice you beforehand, when he is ready.

The V2 Beta test boards will also be shipped around the same time, to 2 Beta testers.
So hopefully we can still keep the July schedule for finishing the tests.

The fully differential F5X-HA will also have the Alpha PCBs ready in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your patience,
Patrick

Patrick, thought i would ask - do you think the crossfeed gives big image difference?
When you will do F5X-HA, how does one implement it then? Same way but 2x (one between positive phases, and one between negative)? Or are you going to skip it on those boards?
Also, will the F5X-HA be sold just as plain boards, or will you be offering PSU-boards, crossfeed-boards and so on at the same time?

> do you think the cross feed gives big image difference?

One of the first V1 builders said, "...Before using the crossfeed, I can hardly stand hearing for more than 1 hour.
Now I can easily do 3-4 hours. So much thanks to you for this....."

> When you will do F5X-HA, how does one implement it then?

A fully balanced version. New PCB layout, in 2 separate boards.

> will the F5X-HA be sold just as plain boards, or will you be offering PSU-boards, crossfeed-boards and so on at the same time?

The F5X-HA is a more complicated project like the DAO SE.
It has many small boards, each with its own functionality.
The advantage of modularity is unlimited options and easy upgradability.
The disadvantage is the need to plan layout as well as wiring.

The boards are now with the Alpha tester.
He is allowed to take as long as he needs.
The important thing is to get it right.
So no rush.

When it is ready, you will get to see all details.
Whether it will become a public project depends on how much interest.
There have been e.g not much interest with the XEN ZGF, which is a pity.
I am enjoying it every time I am travelling on the train.
And that is at least 8 hours a week.

Patrick

Schematics of the cap multipliers attached. I am using a string of two LM329 and two red Led's in my build to arrive at 16.4V.
The transformer is a custom wound toroid with two shields and 2x18.5V, so plenty of overhead. No mechanical hum, no noise.

Sinks of the supplies are temporary of course, didn't have anything better at hand ;) Final wiring will also be nice and tidy.

I decided to build the f5hp. 2107 case has been ordered, I will sacrifice a set of sk170BL/sj74BL, which seem to be worth their weight in gold for this project. I am going to order 20 or so fairchild mosfets and hope for the best in matching. I will use veroboard for the build. Headphones are AKG 272 (at work) and Grado 125. Hope to purchse a set of K701 or K702 soon. I really like AKGs. I listen two a dual pair mosfet F5 at home, so I am familiar with the topology.

I am putting together my parts order...I will use Stixx's regulator/cap multiplier.

Stixx: In the original schematic you posted you show an 8.2R resistor between the power caps which form a CRC filter. In the schematic on your website you are showing a single cap, no CRC. Any preference here? I will use a 18V transformer.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-05-17 at 10.06.18 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-17 at 10.06.18 PM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 451
  • Screen shot 2016-05-17 at 9.58.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-17 at 9.58.52 PM.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 454