F5 Headamp ?

We have poor customer service, because we are not a commercial entity.
Our apologies.

In principle we have all the parts.
But if we start selling each individually, or allowing all possible options, it is an administrative nightmare.
Something we have no time and interest for, to be totally honest & impolite.

Patrick

Making progress on stixx's regulator/multiplier. Also got the case and transformer. Starting on one channel of the f5 board. I will let you guys know how it goes. Big thanks to Patrick for the design and doing all the hard work to make it easy for guys like me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 511
Here's the regulator/cap multiplier. Positive side pretty much done until I get it in the case.

Honestly, I don't understand how it works. I understand the cap multiplier portion but what are the lm329 and LED doing? Also, how does one calculate the voltage drop of the regulator?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-05-17 at 10.06.18 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-17 at 10.06.18 PM.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 518
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 499
There is a reference voltage developed using the LM329s and LED, sourced with a current regulator "diode". The cap multiplier filters that ref voltage. So it is a regulated supply of sorts, without overall negative feedback.

Got it. So, we have 2 LM329 at 6.9V each + an LED at 1.8V. 15.6V total.

Good thing I matched up a pair of LEDs so the pos and neg match. Not that it will make a lot of difference I suppose. Thanks for the education.

> we have 2 LM329 at 6.9V each + an LED at 1.8V. 15.6V total.

But you need to count the 1.2V drop across the discrete Darlington.
So the output is about 14.4V.
But you can raie that by adding either a diode (like 1N4148) or an addiitonal LED.

And R4-C3 forms an additional low pass filter to furhter filter the high frequency noiseof the voltage reference chain.

Patrick

One set of V2 PCBs

blackdod Spain 2
BMF USA 2
ripson UK 2
hipcheck USA 1
Ryssen Sweden 1
Dennis Hui Canada 1
pchw USA 1
Xen team internal 2
CeeVee Portugal 1
pegasus21 Singapore 1
Fabian85 Germany 1

Running total 15

Plus 1 Set of Case

pegasus21 1 set
bkdog 1 set
BMF 1 set
s610adam 2 sets
Fabian85 1 set

> we have 2 LM329 at 6.9V each + an LED at 1.8V. 15.6V total.

But you need to count the 1.2V drop across the discrete Darlington.
So the output is about 14.4V.
But you can raie that by adding either a diode (like 1N4148) or an addiitonal LED.

And R4-C3 forms an additional low pass filter to furhter filter the high frequency noiseof the voltage reference chain.

Patrick

I have the Stixx cap multiplier completed. Unfortunately I am not getting a voltage drop without load attached. Maybe this is normal but I am getting 24V on the output form a 18V transformer. I will test with a dummy load tonight. Perhaps the output is load dependent.

Also, lm329 pinout is confusing. Pin 1 is not supposed to be used but I can only get the reference voltage between pin 1 and 2. If you look at Jung's super reg PCB layout it's the same thing (D10 in the attached thumbnail)... pin 1 and 2 are used. I cant figure out why the data sheet shows connection between 1 and 2. Any words of wisdom here?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 10.24.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 10.24.01 AM.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 536
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 10.23.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-21 at 10.23.06 AM.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 432
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 405
> Maybe this is normal but I am getting 24V on the output form a 18V transformer.

This should not happen unless the cap is charged in transient to 24V and it has such no leakage that it doe not drop back to normal.
The easiest way to solve this is to place a 2k 2W resistor in parallel with the output cap.

> lm329 pinout is confusing. Pin 1 is not supposed to be used but I can only get the reference voltage between pin 1 and 2.

Thi is NOT my experience.
The diagram is correct and show the pins viewed from the bottom.

Patrick

> Maybe this is normal but I am getting 24V on the output form a 18V transformer.

This should not happen unless the cap is charged in transient to 24V and it has such no leakage that it doe not drop back to normal.
The easiest way to solve this is to place a 2k 2W resistor in parallel with the output cap.

> lm329 pinout is confusing. Pin 1 is not supposed to be used but I can only get the reference voltage between pin 1 and 2.

Thi is NOT my experience.
The diagram is correct and show the pins viewed from the bottom.

Patrick

Viewed from the bottom. Oh man. I need to learn how to read. Thank you.

Keep us posted of your progress.

Patrick

I will. I have a feeling Iam going to need more lm329 which will delay me a few days. For anyone contemplating the 2107 case it is very nice. I was disappointed that mine came with "breeze audio" silkscreened on the front. It was blank in the eBay photos. But it should come off easily. But otherwise the case is very well made and machined. Nice recommendation Patrick.