F5 Headamp ?

Thanks for the link.

Is this the actual schematic?

Attachments

• DAO.png
    DAO.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,824
BTW for those attempting the Vero build, don't use fancy super regulators to start with.
Simply CRC or lab supply would do.

A Salas shunt was tried with my prototype and ended up in oscillation.
In the end 27R power resistors were needed between amp and regulator to damp that out.

Once you got it working with a normal lab supply, as I did, you can then play around with other fancy things.

;)

Patrick

The weekends here so I'm knocking up a temporary power supply whilst I wait for my jfets to arrive, hopefully next week. I will be using a simple capacitance multiplier. The demands of this circuit are very modest so it will probably be overkill but hey, I've got the bits lying around so why not.

I'm curious Patrick, I realize that you are using your lab supply for your prototype......now looking at your draft PCB layout, am I right in thinking you are going to use 3pin regs for your final build?

Last edited:
I can see a couple of electros on your prototype photos, and there is room for them on the vero layout you provided, but they are not shown on the vero layout or the schematic. I presume they are just extra local filtering across the supply.......perhaps 1000uF (25v)?

Good guess. 1000µF 25V Panasonic FR, as I just have them handy.
You might probably get away with less, 330µF or so.

But if you feel like trying something interesting, I found this one a while ago :
S-Audio Systems - PSU for High end audio without electrolytic capacitors

Looks really interesting, but I have not had a chance to try.
The shunt transistor as posted has a current of 20mA at 15V, limited by its dissipation (set at 0.3W).
So you might want to use multiple ones in parallel, or change to a power transistor.

The shunt path should at least have half the max. output current you want to have to the headphone.
Assuming 8V 50 ohm, i.e. 160mA, you would want to have 4x in parallel.
And then as good stability practice put a small resistor (say 100R) at the base of each.

Patrick