F4 power amplifier

korben69 said:
Two questions about 74s and 170s :

1° - Do they need to be matched for the F4 ? (I've don't read it but I'm a newbie so... I'm asking the experts ! :) )
2° - How to match 74s and 170s ?
Many thanks to all.

Wish you stars for this new year.

Hi,

Mine don't match, but I noticed that the difference does show up as a small voltage mismatch which can be adjusted out with the pot that balances voltage between upper and lower groups of mosfets. IIRC, the voltage mishmatch seemed to match the difference in mismatch between the jfets.

korben69 said:
Hi Carpenter, thanks.

Where do you place the pot to adjust voltage ?
I've missed the link... what are the specs of the pot ?

I'm rusty on which pot (P1 or P2). Just read the text and use the pot that adjusts the offset voltage.:)

Edit: According to Peter Daniel's checklist, it's P2 that adjusts the DC offset. BTW, he's ordering more F4 pcbs. Go to his thread and purchase some if you're able.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
anubisgrau said:

i don't know what you mean by desperate, i've just thought that some shops would be clever enough to offer all the parts for sale - at least that's what i'd might do if selling parts. no hard feelings anyway

there is no hard feelings , in any way ;
with "desperate " I meant - are you so curious to try F4 ......?

FR fever ;)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Minimum Impedance

chrismercurio said:
How stable is the F4 when connected to speakers that drop below 4 ohms? 2 ohms? 1 ohm? Will I have a cool arc welding light show in my living room?

It's stable into anything I've tried. Depending on the values of
the Zener diodes, you will run out of current. Sotck, it poops out
around 10 amps peak, implying full swing into 2 ohms.