F4 power amplifier

I mean the Cin, not the reservoir caps.

Attached is the BA pushpull output stage, the same design as F4 but without the buffer.

If the input is 5K, why 440u or 1Ku at Cin?

Edit: I'm a bit obsessed with the input capacitors... ;-)

Attachments

• ba.PNG
    ba.PNG
    162.7 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thank you Zenmod, understood.
I think they (or it) have to be of very good quality.
I don't like very much bipolar caps at the input, but this is a different case.

been there, done that , zillion times ....... changing things I'm not understanding, just to feel smart

it is good - if leads to more efforts invested in learning :)

but, don't fret - I'm still changing things I don't understand

:rofl:

I have a basic audio question, since I have an F4 connected to a tube preamp that delivers slightly higher-than-average gain, but nowhere near Sy's or Zen Mod's designs.

Is there a qualitative difference in the sound if the F4 is not being driven with a full 35 p-p of input voltage, or is it just a wire with gain that is quieter, not subjectively worse-sounding? I guess I'm wondering if the harmonics have differing relative outputs to each other, based on the voltages driving the amp, say a higher proportion of 2nd to 3rd or the reverse. And maybe other stuff.

Meanwhile, I'll be building an Aleph J to temporarily replace the F4's guts in my 4U amp. I'm curious if providing, say 5V peaks, sounds worse (anemic in some sense, maybe?) than 14V peaks, or if it doesn't make a lick of difference. I imagine speaker sensitivity might have some role in how it sounds, too.

I apologize for sounding gooey, but my curiosity demands answers! :p