F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
F4 crippled & standalone crippled

so

standalone - meaning - having RCA on input , so you need something to bleed those caps

Attachments

• F4-crippled.gif
    F4-crippled.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 646
  • F4-crippled-standalone.gif
    F4-crippled-standalone.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 647
Thank you, I am not completely sure what to do yet.

Having an idea to build in a BA-3 with a pot at the input, so it will turn into an integrated amp with just one input and a volume control.

Alternatively to build the BA-3 as a separate preamp with a DDDAC1794 NOS DAC inside, with either transformer coupling or a modified D1 IV stage.

Could also be nice - USB in, loudspeaker out.

Just want to say I have some serious compliments from some members of a local audio group regarding my F4 power amp. This F4 is driven by an Aikido tube voltage gain stage. Several members agree that this combination competes with and has better sound than commercial units costing much more.
Many thanks to papa and others on this site for sharing their knowledge and helping with my projects.

Happy holidays.

Hi William,
did you use a nacked/liberated F4, and which tubes did you choose for the Aikido ?

I am very satiesfied with my F5, but thought I needed to try an F4 also, waiting for the matched Toshibas, which I also used in the F5.

Also just finished a BA-3 as a preamp - thanks for sharing your designs Nelson.

I have the best sound ever right now - took a little tweak on my speakers to get there. I am using 6 dB cutoff, and the tweeters needed a selfresonance dampening L-C-R filter to be up to the new equipment.

Best regards
Arthur.

Hi William,
did you use a nacked/liberated F4, and which tubes did you choose for the Aikido ?

I am very satiesfied with my F5, but thought I needed to try an F4 also, waiting for the matched Toshibas, which I also used in the F5.

Also just finished a BA-3 as a preamp - thanks for sharing your designs Nelson.

I have the best sound ever right now - took a little tweak on my speakers to get there. I am using 6 dB cutoff, and the tweeters needed a selfresonance dampening L-C-R filter to be up to the new equipment.

Best regards
Arthur.

My F4 is straight from the original schematic with matched fets and I use 12ax7 followed by 6dj8 in the Aikido. The tubes are NOS telefunkin and I added global nfb to bring gain down to around 20db. I had 6cg7 without feedback in the gain stage originally but find the 12ax7 has better detail and high end even with it. On the F4 I have dual power supplies with 200va transformers and 8x10000uf filtering on each. Don't know if any of this is a magic recipe but I can say it sounds pretty good.

And yes, I too started with an F5 first and in my system the F4/Aikido sounds much better to me.

Cheers

Just realized I interrupted your conversations here about the crippled and other variations on on the F4, Sorry about that. I hadn't been following this thread lately.

So to catch up on this, it looks like with the crippled version we would be trading the jfet front end for electrolytic coupling caps. It's not obvious to me that this would be a win, sonically. Am I missing something? Other than an easy way to allow increasing the PS rails.

thanks

i m not sure....my head is kind of circling right now lol...

but if Nelson says it s a good idea...there must be some way?
Probably yes. But ...
Advantages:
  • The drive circuits have 1/2 the capacitance to drive vs. the push-pull F4.
  • Excellent H2 cancellation
Disadvantages:

• Power supply complications.
  • Twice the gate drive circuitry, unless someone comes up with a very clever design.