F4 power amplifier

F4 Headphone Amp Up and Running

Thanks to Choky's patience in helping me debug a "bad" board my balanced F4 headphone amp is running. This is from Choky's schematic in post 3026 by generg. Thanks Nelson for the incredible current buffer. Preliminary listening (Buffalo II to XP10 to F4) says this is a keeper. As you can see "case isn't quite done.

The basement compartment contains transformers, first bank of caps and inductors.

Attachments

• IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 608
with just quick look at their data - you can

resistor values - use same as in original F4 , except higher source resistors for outputs

Thanks for help, Zen Mod.

Please help me understand the bias trimpot : P2 is to bias the DC Offset at the output and P1 is to bias the Vgs of the MOSFET ? ( adjust until Vgs = 1/2 Vcc ? )

I have tried to simulate this circuit in LTSpice, but i'm a newbie in SPICE programs, so the result is very weird :(.Someone help me to fix my spice file, please ?
Spice file attached.

Attachments

• F4.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 69
for starters - read F4 manual ; it's written with that purpose :rofl:

much better explained than I can do

P1 bias , P2 offset

I found that F5 manual has more info than F4 :D.Read F4 manual, I can only find the quiescent current setting and the matching requirement of the devices.

How should I adjust P1 ? Adjust it until Vgs = 1/2 Vrail or else ?

Ah, one more thing : I can only get touch on 0.3V matched mosfets and jfets, will they work well ?

I am building a crippled F4 with BA3 for front end but not sure if i am doing it correct.

To remove the F4 input buffer, R1,R2,R3,R4,Q1,Q2,D1 and D2 are not soldered. The BA3 output will goes between C1 and C2 on F4. Is this correct?

For the output MOSFETs, I have both Fairchild and Vishay devices. Is there a preferred one for this amp?

C3/R25 and C4/R24 are bootstrap networks for the front end.
They slightly improved the maximum output and bandwidth, but
their primary purpose is to protect the JFETs from over-voltage.

:cool:

For the output MOSFETs, I have both Fairchild and Vishay devices. Is there a preferred one for this amp?

The Fairchilds work fine. They have a slightly higher Vgs and
the distortion of the P channel devices is a bit lower, although
not enough to rule out the IR parts as followers.

:cool:

F4 headphone amp

I have been listening to my balanced F4 driven by Pass X10 and fed by my Mc through a Buffalo II for about 3 weeks now. Running with 300mA bias at 15V.

I have to say this setup is absolutely superb with my HiFi Man 500s and with modded Denon 2000s, The bass is low and tight. There is very nice detail and the female vocalists (Etta James, Eva Cassidy, Jacintha, Nora Jones ) sound incredible. Why did I wait so long to do this. Highly recommended.

Thanks Choky and all who contributed to this thread/project.

I wonder what it would sound like with a MAGMA front end :D

Best

Bob