• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F1 Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Conspiracy theory time:

Possible opening lines from Dave

... a funny thing happened to me at the Mexican border ... and I thought the dogs were just being friendly

... never make jokes with Homeland security at the airport

... so I lean way into the back of my car trunk and my foot slipped, so of course, I grab the trunk lid to stop my fall and then ...

... I was drunk and she was hot and coming onto me so ... and then I woke up wearing this costume 2 weeks later ...

... abducted by aliens (requirement in any conspiracy list)

... abducted by white van guys

... abducted by aliens posing as white van guys

... abducted by Joaqim Phoenix and forced to join his Be-Bop crew

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I haven't received any other contact from Dave since my last post. He did tell me his situation, but never really said if I could divulge details. I did ask him in another email, if I could pass some info on to the group, but he never replied back. All I can really say without giving too much info is that he was hospitalized, and he was back home when he sent me the initial email after his absence. Hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

-john

Same Here

We've heard story after story. If the boards were made-get someone to send them out. I thought people are mostly on the up and up on these group buys. I feel we were ripped off due to the way excuses were presented. Seems the boards were delayed just when they were supposed to go out. There were delays on making them...delays on shipping them...etc.
Check the threads for hifimaker's timetables. Where's this promised e-mail with all the info as to his status. What about him being sick and then home and then only he could fill us in on the story.
I wonder what is really going on here....it doesn't seem to add up.

Let's look at some facts. David is a DIYAudio member since 2003, with a post count > 1,200. He is involved in other audio forums, is seen IRL at Burning Amp and is as far as I can tell a real enthusiast.

Do you really think he would abandon this for not even 1,400 $ and do all the effort beforehand with creating a layout, the build instructions,... If he only wanted the money there would be much easier ways, for example to sell a (non-existent) bag of unobtainium transistors.

I'm still absolutely sure about David's reputation and I'm also sure this Group Buy thing is something he worries about much time of the day, which is something what doesn't help him in his situation right now.

@MEGA-Amp: Since it was you who had the only recent contact, do you have any closer relation to David? Can you get some more information about David's condition?

Greetings,
Chris

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I do not personally know David, nor have I had any personal contact with him. I was surprised that he contacted me, as I'm sure I wasn't the only one looking for him. I ran a whois on his website, and found administrative contact info, then a week later he sent me an email. He said he was hospitalized with Pneumonia. Since this is a rather personal matter, and he said he would be online soon, I figured he should be the one to dispense that information....not me. Now with theories running abound, maybe he'll appreciate that I cleared the air on this......maybe not. I know that David has been a member here for a long time, and has attended many functions with members on this forum; I have absolutely no reason to believe that Dave would do the forum members wrong. As I previously said, he hasn't contacted me since my last post stating so, its possible he was hospitalized again...who knows.

-john

This is none of my business as I'm not involved in this GB. But wanted to add to the thoughts that David certainly seems a stand up guy, for all the reasons mentioned here.

My bet is that this setback may be keeping him from building out a board & vetting it prior to sending them all out.

I've been on the edges of this (e.g. made a BoM suggestion that he incorporated a while back) & didn't notice whether there was a proto run of the PCBs upon which proof/vetting of the board took place.

Anyway, well wishes to David & y'all and I'm sure David could reach out to someone here for assistance w/this if necessary (in his neck of the woods).

I want to see this thread stay on page 1. I also believe that David was acting in good faith. Everything in his posting history seems to indicate that.

Like many here I long ago paid for these boards. I am willing to write off those funds to bad luck. Wherever David is I wish him well.

AlanElsdon indicated a while back that he was prepared to carry forward this group buy. Alan, are you still interested? If not, is there anyone here who can carry the ball forward with this F1 design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.