Explendid amplifier designed by Michael Bittner, our MikeB

Thank you very much Epupa, your message was not for me.

But i accepted it as beeing to me too, as i had the pleasure to work as an animal, to adjust this amplifier together Herr Bittner.

So, your congratulations are touching me too.

Thank you, very kind from you, this attention with us.

Michael was the brain, the designer, i was making criticisms and holding his "silent times" when i smashed his first units turning him with bad mood related me.

So, it is good to see that result good, and passed througth a very small grain filter, that you and Pavel represents to me...people that do not accept everything, that do not turn satisfied with poor amplifiers, and acting as a filter, do not let pass big pieces of trash.

Now the amplifier is many times more "guaranteed" having your Official, signed under, "Aproval"

Signed here is me..... the mistic, the magic, the philosopher, the dreamer..... and someone that could be called "the dog"...as i am always at my friend's side, trying to protect, to help and beeing a good company.... as an ordinary dog, i use to bite everything that seems to be danger.

Carlos

Yes, i know that Mike, but now it is time to give room to the Enginneers, and to

Respect them, i am giving enougth room to them, wide space to deep technical evaluations, as listening was already done.

Now it is time to graphics, distortions and that kind of analisis.

I do not feel myself forgotten, i am feeling great!....Big Charlie!, as i could be a part of it.....the best this thread turns,the better will be to all of us, now more precise, more guaranteed by audio professionals, more satisfaction i feel because i remember very clearly that i took part on it...since many monthes ago....also together with Mr. Mateus.... that must be remembered as the first that screams that the amplifier was oscilating...early research times...many, many monthes ago.

Now, our forum friends fears, to construct will be reduced, and Michael's dream and also my dream, to watch many guys constructing and listening, will came true, as the last barriers do not exist anymore.

You Herr Michael, not beeing a Graduated Enginneer, prove that someone clever, with love and hard work, can do a nice job related amplifier design, if not perfect...a very good sounding amplifier can be produced by a Computer Programmer.

Also we prove that our "quality delirium" was not so wrong too, and also those Enginneers prove that they can accept a quality work that came from a non graduated Enginneer, and this turns all forum enginneers more nice and agreable, our contact with those big brains will be better, because the humble intervenction of Pavel and Epupa...showing that Enginneers do not need to be under Spot Lights, in some elevated level, to be considered, fair, competent and decent people.

Also, the acceptance of this amplifier, will remenber forum friends, that the others amplifiers i use to say as beeing a very good units, may have also a good evaluation, that the others may have really a good sound too, giving some strength to my words, as this is positive and fair to Graham and Hugh.

I am sorry that i started one strike against Mr. Pavel, as beeing a dog related fidelity to my good friend, as i told, i use to bite everyone that seems (even not beeing really) annoying to him.

This is my culture, some quality of my people, to form groups, to be very strong as a group of friends...talking true, and those things normally hurt some of us....the more strong survive to criticisms...others cannot hold those things.

Good.....in my understanding.... all experiences are beeing very good!

regards,

Carlos

Carlos-
Michael was the brain, the designer, i was making criticisms and holding his "silent times" when i smashed his first units turning him with bad mood related me.
-

hey Carlos never mind be happy
how are the later units,very good i would guess

Carlos may i ask what was the reason you found the first ones
werent good enough cause from looking at the shematic they
look good to me, i havent built these amps,you have,i would
like to know the reason why you didnt like them,you should know
better,care to share with us,some of your findings?

i would also like to congratulate mike on a well designed amp
he has certainly used some of the best transistors there are

regards

May I ask for schematic update. There was several at the start of this thread and some changes occured meanwhile I guess and I don't really know what particularly you're talking about. Please :D I'm learning much from your discussion and enjoy, maybe one day I'll build another Symasym ;)

keep on working guys
cheers all

PMA said:
The PSU is much like this, with 100nF caps in parallel with electrolytes.

The diode bridges are rated at 15A.

/Thank you RodE, I borrowed the picture a little bit, as I was lazy to draw a new one, always friends ;) /

The 10R resistors between IGND and PWGND of Symasym help to prevent ground-loops a lot.

The dual bridge makes less sense with a CT secondary, the biggest adv. of dual bridge/split secondary is that the gnd is derived from the bridge and not from the CT.
Snubber become unnecessary, maybe even counterproductive with the soft recovery or schottky diodes. I have noticed an improvement in the sound, mostly in the silence between the notes that makes the music stand out more, and so I made this type of PS my standard practice.

Listening tests

Hello folks,

Last weekend I had a chance to compare Sym5 and an amp made of Ucd180 modules. Actually there were two (me and my friend) of us and we did a long listening session switcing from amp to amp.

Speakers were my DIY mass loaded tl:s with Seas w15cy001 woofers and hiquphon ow1 tweeters.

Both of us preferred the SYM in general because of it´s dynamism (liveliness?) especially the control in the low frequencies and very nice and smooth higs. However both listeners noted that Ucd has a little advantage in the upper midrange region. In that region Ucd had a little more "air" or "transparency" (I am bad at describing sound especially in english).

Symasym is truely an explendid amplifier :) It sounds superb. It is very easy to construct, pcb is simple and easy to etch at home with good results (now some people will disagree).

I should have never taken the SYM5 over my friend since now I have to build one for him too along with a new one for myself after the possible revision of the pcb .:bawling:

Jarno,

regarding the PCB revision, I would be a little bit careful right now. I have good reason to say this, maybe if you looked at dist. measurements in the review, you would understand me. If I am not clear, I will add several sentences to the webpage in the evening.

I assume that possible new PCB should be well verified in listening tests as well.

Pavel

Michael,

not that strong. If you look at the distortion spectra, there are only low order even harmonics (2nd, 4th, 6th) for moderate output levels, these harmonics are nicely decaying and are quite low in magnitude. They rise a bit with frequency, but remaining same in ratio.

Only when pushed hard, the amp starts to produce odd harmonics, that are lower in level than those even ones.

I assume that it might be good for perceived sound and it may be in good correlation with human psychoacoustics ;) .

But there are much more important properties. The amp is fast, transparent, does not melt complex music, is not harsh and is not grainy. These properties, IMHO, do not have direct correlation to spectral measurements, especially for the level of values measured from Symasym.

Pavel

The ones that do not communicate will be left to the fate

This "sausage eater" told me nothing!.....hummmmm, he may think that i would envy him to go to a poluted beach, with thousands of people scratching sand on him...when i have my Spanish Beauty (my wife) rigth here, and empty beach in front of me...all he needed was to by the air tickets and bring me a couple of Symassym boards.

Hummmmm....krau!...... this one told nothing!.... first he departure and them he tell us...very clever he was!...paying everything, food, hotel, car, and having a non tropical beach in front of him.

And now my family desperated with the enormous house empty in Porto de Galinhas, the best "point" of brazilian tourism!

House empty, no one wants to go...my wife asking me:

- Where's the Portuguese?... we need someone to use the house..this way house is without any protection..people can go there and remove furnitures, as Rosalinda is a woman and cannot protect!

And i telling her that João may be already a piece of Ice in United States.

And we needing someone to take care of the house....no one wants to go!.... with a dune buggy there (battery discharged)...have to pull it to make engine work....4 rooms with air conditioned, freezer, satelite television reception, audio sound system, place to barbecue, a bad smelling dog and a small boat to four persons.

It was free for this German ....and he told nothing.

I think he would be happy with Rosalinda's food...she is very kind, she is lovely and loves to make massages in our sholders when our wives are not watching....she dislike, she said wives are too much complicated!

Well, Rosalinda will be lonely...for more 23 days...and the "chucrute" paying hotel, going to poluted beaches, paying for food, for car...ahahahahhahahaha!.

I will ask some friend to go there....but Rosalinda do not like married people.....as wives are normally too jellows about her,she is not pretty,but she is very kind and ready to serve you the way you want her....i think that this is what disturb my wife and others too.

Poor Michael...he is a good designer......heheh...but was not so clever this time.

I will call Paulinho, do not know how he apreciate that place so much...he used to send his wife to mothers house to stay alone in that place...having only Rosalinda.... cannot understand why he goes all time smilling when he was there?

Will show you Rosalinda....i think i will let her be free to visit her family, as she has no one to take care, or to cook for.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• rosalinda.jpg
    rosalinda.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 897