Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Looking at my past posts....I think I misrepresented some facts a bit. The Upsampling board does not share a rail with VA on CS4398. However the CS8416 has a single PSU as standard.

I wasnt completely misrepresenting....just a bit.

PSU is still a massive influence on audio performance.

finally got this thing to work

6133101614_dd3bb9c24e_z.jpg

I just came across this impressive thread and have only zapped through some posts yet. It seems that for best sonics output transformers are preferred here.
I consider integrating this DAC in my new tube pre-amp. Because I don’t need low Zout (no interlink to drive) and the CS4398 has a normal line-level output, is a transformer still the best way to go, or can I tap the signal from the inverting- or non-inverting outputs by a coupling capacitor? Does anyone know the offset voltage at the output of the DAC?

Peter

Caps

I just came across this impressive thread and have only zapped through some posts yet. It seems that for best sonics output transformers are preferred here.
I consider integrating this DAC in my new tube pre-amp. Because I don’t need low Zout (no interlink to drive) and the CS4398 has a normal line-level output, is a transformer still the best way to go, or can I tap the signal from the inverting- or non-inverting outputs by a coupling capacitor? Does anyone know the offset voltage at the output of the DAC?

Peter

I find that the best caps such as the Dayton foil sound better than any affordable transformers like the Jensens to block the 2.5V DC and I run with no ultrasonic filter.

Same

Scott, thanks for your reply.

Is the offset voltage on both (+ and -) outputs the same, or are they inverted just like the signal.

Peter

The offset voltage is the same +2.5v on both legs of the output so you can connect a trans primary across them with little to no dc current flowing as long as you don't center tap to ground.

Last edited: