Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Like this, maybe? (C-R-C-R-C filtered LM317 tracking preregulator)

chinadacpsupicyudr.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the PDF files for the preregulator board. It is made to fit to the DAC board. I've ripped off the whole PSU stuff from the DAC board and feed the prereg's outputs to the DC sides of the diodes on the DAC board.

This is the schematic for the prereg, borrowed here: Using 3-pin regulators off-piste: part 4 )
mc-tpr.jpg

The C-R-C-R-C filters and diode bridges need no explanation, I think.

Edit: I've just noticed that the LEDs are drawn reversed in the component layer PDF!

Attachments

• china-dac_prereg_comp_.pdf
    14.9 KB · Views: 183
  • china-dac_prereg_copper_.pdf
    49.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I think theat Teddy Pardo sells a complete regulator board the upgraded "Super Teddy Reg".

Paying 142 whiplashes for three regulators ... Never!

The R value is well hidden ;) in the text on the Acoustica page: "As to typical values ror C2 = Polyester 0.1uF in series with R5= 10ohms, or C2=1uF in series with R5=2R7 - 3R3; or a cheap 10uF electrolytic cap all work well here."

I've not tested the Teddyregs in curcuit yet. The preregs alone gave a noticeable improvement, no surprise. The original onboard LM317 implementation is in the most basic manner without any kind of filtering.

Many thanks! I will give the acoustica article a closer read.......I've been keeping an eye on the updates for a while now.

I had to cut some tracks on the main PCB to seperate the supply rails have you done the same?

Also I've been playing with decoupling using 0.01uf X7R on 100nF eloctrolytics soldered directly to the daughter boards of the cs4398 and cs8416; Vref VA etc, I have also removed the FB and regulator on the 8421 board and decoupled the supply to the clock with 0.01uf X7R. All of this together resulted in a substantial improvement in sound. I found that until all of it was done the sound was not balanced at all??

To be honest this is a lot of work to get a decent "audiophile" fidelity! This is beyound upgrades, the board is slowly being redisgned.