Exotic component choice for a GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Nuuk said:

I had NXQ's on my original IGC's and also in my modified Arcam A60's. They do sound very good after the have burned in but for a coupling cap of 4.7uF I don't think any electrolytic beats a polypropylene.

A wrong assumption but a very understandable one. Please compare them and report your results.

I have a hard time deciding which ones to use where in every case I want to replace caps. I like film caps because of their practically unlimited lifetime but soundwise N and NX can be better.

Our local BG prices (excl. VAT)
http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/

While the Super-E config of two BG N 4.7u/50V ain't the ultimate, it does offer good performance/price ratio. No-nonsense upgrade for the budget cd player modder I would say.

Personally I would spend a little more for an even better sounding coupling cap in a power opamp amplifier with such a low parts count. :cool:

Peter Daniel,
You keep amazing me with your results and experiments. You seem one of the few that actually tries in stead of spreading the word by hearsay. :)
Kudos to you. ;)
Interesting about your super-E config test and standard versus the supposedly better N series... :confused:

A wrong assumption but a very understandable one. Please compare them and report your results.

I have! I used an NXQ in my original IGC monoblocs as I had some handy and they were ideal with the lack of space.

I used polypropylenes on the next three Gainclones and have listened to all these amplifiers (and my modified A60's) at length.

I would say that the NXQ probably comes nearest to the sound of a film cap in that position although I have not heard all the 'exotic' alternatives.

If I remember correctly, the polyprops are a bit cheaper than the NXQ's (at UK prices anyway).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You seem one of the few that actually tries in stead of spreading the word by hearsay.

I don't know who you are referring to but there are more of those around, Rudolf. You both aren't the only ones really. The problem is to mix quality and quantity, something Peter is very able to do as he shows us jealous people every time he reveils one of his new babies.

I use N series 4.7 uF in super E config in almost any machine that comes in my hands. Recently I received 4.7 uF 5 mm pitch Wima MKT which can be placed instead of Ecaps too. Although I don't expect much of them I am curious what they can do. MKP most of the time is too large for 5 mm holes.

NX is better but not applicable in every situation.

I checked prices at http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/ and I saw N series 1000 uF 50 V is 42 Euro. I payed around 16 Euro/piece last time I ordered and I received quite bulky 1000 uF 50 V caps ( larger than standard series so I thought they were N series ).

Exotic talking.

Well, the last mod I made to my main:eek: GC was adding two parallel 0.47ohm 3 watt carbon resistors in series with the output.
This was after extensive:eek: listening tests.
Seriously, now I've put my Kimber 4TC cables back in my system and it plays s'beautiful.:bawling:
That thing made a "click" (Peter?;) ) and that night I've been listening to some music until 3 AM.

With a direct output from the chips to the speaker terminals I had horrible bass and I had to change from my Kimbers to Supra 2.5.
The Kimbers are high capacitance.
Now the Kimber 4TC is back and I have a sound to die for.:bawling:
What was high-end is now stratospheric.:D

I would say that the NXQ probably comes nearest to the sound of a film cap

I don't understand the fascination with film caps. Most of the ones I tried sound like crap anyway. ;)

Attachments

• ex.jpg
    ex.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 514
Nuuk said:

All the GC circuits that I have built have been based on circuits that I have seen on this and the Chip Amp forum.

Also, I am not sure which one of the four Gainclones that I have built you refer to.

The VBIGC feedback resistor is 1 meg as recommended by Joe Rasmussen who came up with the original idea. You can read more on his circuit HERE.

Peter - Thank you for clearing that up.

Nuuk - Another question- Your comments on the "buffered GC" of course make me want to build one! But I could not find any explination on your site as to what the buffer accomplishes technically. In other words, what is the mechanism behind that great sound (ie changes in impedence, etc). By the way, it is a great site for a begginer like me!

Re: Re: Exotic talking.

Peter Daniel said:

I'm not surprised. How much uF are you using in your PS?;)

Come on, Peter, I've got back to 1000uf some time ago.:D
To be more pecise, 2000uf total per rail, as I have one toroid for both channels.
Some time ago I added capacitance to the PSU, but the problem was elsewhere.;)
It's now fantastic, and I love my old EPOS ES11 speakers more and more each time I listen to them.
That midband and treble makes me:bawling: .
The amp helps, too.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.