Exotic component choice for a GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't assume anything. A tale of two DACs

It is slightly off-topic, but since it's still dealing with capacitors, I thought it may be interesting.

In a pic, there are two DACs, both based on TDA1543 chip. Recently somebody asked me to make one for him so I thought that I could get rid of a small one as I thought the bigger one "should" be much better. The improvements on a big DAC are as follows: better transformers, more filtering in PS, asynchronous reclocking, separate PS for reclocking circuit, better PS for DAC (as per Elso's recommendation), the very best coupling caps I could find (Siemens MKV). The small DAC is using 4.7u BG N.

Just before I was planning to let the small DAC go, I had another listen to it, and was tremendously surprised with a sound, which was much better than from the bigger, seemingly "improved" DAC. There was some sort of harmony and certain naturalness to the sound, that the big DAC couldn't simply deliver. A friend of mine was listening too and confirmed my impression. Also the soundstage was much better.

My conclusion is that even electrolytics can sound good (in coupling application), if they are at a right place in a right circuit;)

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,001
Peter Daniel said:
So we were right about low capacitance. I'm glad you see the light again;)

You were.
:angel:

Peter Daniel said:

I also tried placing 0.22 Mills resistor at the output, but didn't notice any improvement. I could only hear the sound of an extra resistor.

I can only hear the music.:)
Maby my cheap carbon resistors can't be heard.:D
Anyway, 2x0.47 ohm = 0,235 ohms.
Maby it makes a difference?
Anyway, my amp plays fine with my "difficult" Kimber 4TC cable now.:cool:
Let me tell you that I tried several things (including zobels) before setting on this one.
I did extensive listening tests with the Kimbers connected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.