Exotic component choice for a GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter, you should have the 22k resistor IF you don't use the cap from Ri to ground.
I think that the input cap doesn't change anything here.
And you're right, you should have a resistor at around the same value as the feedback resistor, so 22k is correct.
Higher value resistor and DC jumps to a higher value.

In my case, I use a 33uf bypassed with 150nf cap from Ri to ground.
I have a 50k log pot.
Initially I had a 22k shunt resistor.
I removed it.
No difference in DC and better sound.
This is my experience.
BTW, the electrolythic cap is not such a bad thing IF you bypass it.
Otherwise you'll notice some lack of clarity, detail.
The sound, as it is, is amazing, AND no DC.;)

It's up to you guys to experiment and decide what's best.

Nuuk said:
I second the suggestion to use a stepped attenuator instead of a pot. IMHO the attenuator is clearly superior.

For the IGC, use the one shown on my Gainclone FAQ page on Decibel Dungeon.

I like a pair of Welwyn RC55 resistors for the feedback and matched carbon films elsewhere.

The Blackgate caps are unlikely to sound that much different to the Panasonic FC's given the huge different in price.

I use the MUR860's for the rectifier bridges and have no inclination to try anything else given the sound of any of my Gainclones.

Do use a transformer for each channel with either one or two bridges.

Use a heavy heatsink, not only for keeping the chip cool but for resonance reasons too.

For an input cap, a polypropylene is ideal.

But do remember that this is all personal taste - there is no ideal recipe other than the one you achieve by trial and error!

Hi-

Why does your GC on the Dungeon Site have such a high value for the Feedback resistor, compared to National's documentation, and other designs as well? How did you arive at that value and what are the effects? Thanks!

Why does your GC on the Dungeon Site have such a high value for the Feedback resistor, compared to National's documentation, and other designs as well? How did you arive at that value and what are the effects? Thanks!

All the GC circuits that I have built have been based on circuits that I have seen on this and the Chip Amp forum.

Also, I am not sure which one of the four Gainclones that I have built you refer to.

The VBIGC feedback resistor is 1 meg as recommended by Joe Rasmussen who came up with the original idea. You can read more on his circuit HERE.

Peter, how come you had never tried the Blackgate FK type?
I heard from several sources that they are significantly better as PS caps than standard type.

Here is one link:
http://www.musicalconcepts.com/what's_new.htm

Personally i think you should give them a try (and let us know about it after ;)

I was a bit surprised when you decided to use N/NX on PS. I never heard of anyone using nonpolars on PS. But I appreciate an open mind.

Alex

You ever heard about people using film caps in PS? Well, some do. Even Sonic Frontieers tried that at one time.

What blows me away is when I'm playing two identical amps to people, one with STD version of BG, the other with type N, and they prefer STD caps;) Pretty interesting, isn't it?

I bought some F series BG recently and they are not that much different from STD version.

By F, do you mean the FK type?

That is good that you actually tried both. I contacted John Hillig, the owner of Musical Concepts, the website i posted a link to in my prev post.
He only tried the FK, and was happy with it.
FK's are like 4 times more $$$ than STD.

Maybe you (or me when i get them, or someone else) should try the N/NX in super-E configuration.
Some claim improvement and the BG website also recommends the super-E for the least possible distortion.

Also I heard that Blackgates take forever to break in properly.

Cheers
Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.