• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Lowther and Feastrex

Phil Townsend said:
This is as far as I need to go...It's done, I can enjoy the music... at last.

This is the end? It could be just the beginning.

The D5nf is a "gateway drug" -- it leads to the harder stuff.

You need to read Confessions of a Feastrex User before it's too late . . . maybe it already is.

I'm soon to graduate to the D5 field coil driver . . . I think it's safe to say my life is ruined . . . :D

-- Chris

Here's the new D9e-1 Field coils... The power supply is on the red stool

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My first time hearing a Field Coil Fullranger... All I can say is Wow.. :bigeyes: The D9 was just playing in free air and details, bass, highs and tone was just excellent... Of course it's not possible to fully determine what a fullranger can do without putting it in a box but it did give us a glimpse of what the driver can do... I will need to chase my carpenter to do up the spks boxes ASAP.... :)

William, that is a very nice-looking job on the cabinet holding the D5nf and the PB9. I bet it must sound really good!

And the 9-inch field coil drivers, yes those are really something else again . . . you are going to have a lot of fun with those. I remember being impressed to no end by a pair of the monster magnet D9 drivers playing in a pair of open cardboard boxes. Put them in the right cabinet and I think they will nail you to your seat -- you won't be able to bring yourself to leave the room.

-- Chris

Hi Chris,

Thks, the D5nf with the PB9s really sounds excellent, you get better bass extension and the bass quality is more like that of a seal box... as compared to the earlier ported/TL hybrid box. The 9" bass radiator is a nice touch as it's made from same leather surrounds and washi paper cone as the D5nf... so same tonality... Also IMO the 9" bass radiator increases the bass radiating area and this results in a bigger soundstage... so it really sounds like the floorstander it is..

The Field coils that's another driver all together.... We didn't want to damage Mr O's D9e, so we checked and double check the voltages etc... And when we fired up the D9e-1in free air... my friends and I were stunned by the tone... We have tried many different fullranger before as most of our earlier fullrangers were obtained from the Ebay ... so need to check for cone rubbing, voice coil problems etc... and this is the First time a fullranger in open air doesn't have your elcheapo transistor radio thin-type sound. Surprisingly we could even hear some bass. Clarity, articulation, highs were all excellent... Of course we will only really start to understand what the D9e-1 can do.... only when we put them in proper boxes ... but even in open air... my friends and I can sense these are one-of-a-kind exceptional fullrangers..... As one friend put it " you have to listen to D9e to understand it... " So I'll keep chasing the carpenter... :)

Btw it was my "mistake" listening to the D9e... I want a pair now but can't afford it at the moment..... :(

OB vs box

I'm sure there are plenty of people like me out there who have never heard these drivers but who are very intrigued by the reports of their performance capabilities. Most of implementations I've read about feature the drivers in some sort of enclosure, but I've also read Olsher's review of the D5nf in an OB. Has anyone actually compared these two approaches?

Any other thoughts on the optimal implementation?

Re: OB vs box

Studley said:
I'm sure there are plenty of people like me out there who have never heard these drivers but who are very intrigued by the reports of their performance capabilities. Most of implementations I've read about feature the drivers in some sort of enclosure, but I've also read Olsher's review of the D5nf in an OB. Has anyone actually compared these two approaches?

Any other thoughts on the optimal implementation?

Basically depends on which approach you want to take..

If you are a Single Driver guy like me OB is out ... because there'll be insufficient bass on it's own in OB ...... However when you put the D5nf in a proper box or with the PB9s .. you be very surprised at the amount of bass and SPL you can get out of them.

On the other hand if you want to DIY a 2-way with some serious bass bins then... OB is probably the simplest way to do it... you'll still need to use a crossover to roll the bass for the D5nf from say at least 100Hz ... In OB, the driver not loaded at all ... it will bottom easily. After that you need to figure out the crossover for the bass bins.

Studley, so far very few people have done serious listening to the Feastrex D5nf on BOTH OB and box enclosures. One fellow took Dick Olsher's basic OB approach to a very high level of refinement:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1363&highlight=feastrex

However, to my knowledge, he never built a box enclosure for the D5nf. And other users have built boxes but not OB. There may be someone out there who has done serious listening to good implementations of both approaches, but if so I have yet to hear their verdict.

-- Chris

D5nf - OB

I have heard the D5nf in both open baffle and enclosed. Most of my listening has been done in the latter configuration, of course, but I was mightily impressed with the driver by itself in the open baffle. I never achieved a proper mating of the bass driver in this configuration, but the D5nf by itself was pretty amazing. I did have difficulty with the 2A3 amplifier, when trying to drive the D5nf full range in this scenario. On certain recordings, the bass would bottom out. So either a more powerful amp was required or a higher crossover point or both. The best sound, however was full range without a doubt, so the quality of any crossover will be paramount to extract the best from any multi-way configuration.

The proper solution will be to cross the bottom end out of the D5nf at the proper frequency. My feeling is that it will fare better in a smaller baffle than in a larger one. This would necessitate a higher crossover point, of course.
By the way, these baffles are for sale.

Thanks,
Joe Cohen

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Good point Martin.

On a separate issue, looking at that monster motor-housing, without any support on the baffle, I'm thinking major frame-stress. Future versions would do well, aside from getting a more optimal driver match, to follow a variation of Linkwitz's approach & use rear-mounting, even if it does mean building something ugly at the back to support it. It'd block some of the back-radiation, but probably the lesser evil.

BTW -you seem to have two black anacondas climbing up the back of the baffles. :D

Hmm. I've nothing against giant wire (I once used 8ga mono runs, on the basis that I might as well completely overkill & have one less thing to worry about), but something to watch out for with that Avatar stuff is that it's so broad it will help block rearward radiation from an OB all by itself, unless you're very careful with the dressing. Just something to keep an eye on really.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.