• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

EnABL kit

Can someone say what is going on with the enable kit? Still available?

Today I cruised what I thought was a consignment place for crafts looking for somebody that did rosemalling to do an enabl job.

I don't know if or how important a steady hand is in getting it right.

The place was a big one that sold craft material only, so no contacts for doing the paint job.

I have one 127e varnished (incorrectly as it turns out but sounds ok)
which will be the candidate for this.

The enabl thread is daunting. I'd sure like to hear a digest/summary version of how the spots got started and maybe even who all has them by now.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
planet10 said:

The 3 post quick overview + pattern index starts here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1460270#post1460270

I also have a bunch of practical application tricks, techniques, and gotchas i really should get out of my head and down on "paper"

dave

Erm, yes I second that. You really should.

;)

Thanks Ed and all for the shortcuts.

We have the big art and craft stores here. What's the short list
of necessities? One pen, one nib ( saw flat nibs in the store) and
one jar of juice. Or brushes? Or drafting pen?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
loninappleton said:
What's the short list of necessities? One pen, one nib ( saw flat nibs in the store) and
one jar of juice. Or brushes? Or drafting pen?

Nib holder

Nibs (which ones depend on what size drivers you are doing... i heavily use A4, A5, 56 & 66, A3 for 8" units and A1 or A2 for 15" -- given they are under $2 each A1 thru A5, 56 & 66)

Polly Scale

Gloss

I add puzzlekoat/mod podge, and damar.

Brushes to apply puzzleloat & gloss,

Brushes to "sweep" cone before material application (use synthetic brushes that don't shed -- also watch out for the black glue/goop at the dustcap on Fostex, it seems to shed, the q-tips are useful for trying to pick up the worst, and a long centre to surround radial stroke sweeps many of them over the edge to the surround where they'll dry and fall off)

(i buy the $8 starter kits at Michaels, and use the blue handle ones for gloss, yellow for puzzlekoat, and the big yellow ones for sweepers -- also the wood handle ones for SR-500, the rest i donate to the strong start school program)

Also useful to have around:

cheap q-tips

(yogurt cup) of water

isopropanol (99%)

paper towel

I also store nibs in a sealed container of isopropanol for at least a bit after cleaning.

Long thumb nails (for cleaning the nibs)

I have a lazy susan for putting the driver on that REALLY helps.

A soft surface to put drivers on while drying.

dave

(PS i embedded a couple tips/gotchas in that post)

All good.

We have a Michaels here that I was just in for the first time
yesterday (looking for someone to do the paint but found that this Michaels isn't a consignment place.)

In any of this, I think I'm going to dodge the podge.

Pen and nibs would be for fe127e.

I looked up the linked pics of the completed 127e which appeared to be just on the surface of the paper-- no Varnish or puzzle coat. Also wondering about the
white ring that is showing on some of the completed pieces -- by BudP I think:

http://picasaweb.google.com/hpurvine/Fostex127ETreatment#

There is prob'ly a lot to be learned from someone who has a craft studio-- things like the lazy susan and so on. As with other areas of the hobby I'll have to cowboy up and do it myself.