Eminence Beta 12LT system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12lta

bigwill said:
Ah, my thread back from the grave!

I never got to do this project because of lack of money, and a very good deal on some other widerangers which turned out to be not so good

Got mine today! I'm working on a Deathbox II sub ... then on to the "Chang" using the FE207Es .... then the 12LTAs for a summer time party speaker. I have a pair of these

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-442

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-442

from projects a few back ..... that I may use on the top.

Afterburner

Many yrs ago I messed around with the 12lta and found it to be typical of a stiff cone 12" with whizzer. At that time I had no knowledge of notch filters/zobels...

Now I am searching for a hi ef speaker to use with a SE or PP amp and The LTA can to mind.
During a search I discovered this thread, the Hammer Dynamics Super 12 and the afterburner files.
Excellent !

I've read the Super 12 is compared to the Quad ESL which, to me, had the best mids of anything I have ever heard. The Super 12 would clearly be the winner of SPL over the weak Quads which was my biggest complaint when I owned them.

Although, the stock 12lta is not the same driver that the Super 12 uses, I wonder how 'refined' it could be with a few mods.

Also, I noticed the old 12lta and the current lta have differing specs. Has anyone experienced the two versions side by side?

I figure roughly $250 for the pr of Afterburners using the FT17h.

Any suggestions for a 95+db/1w that would be around that budget? The Afterburner box may be a bit too big for WAF.

Cheers,
Daniel

Godzilla said:

any thoughts on this combo?

Like any horn/point source combo, the horn's polar response dictates the size of the point source driver, so without any data about all I can say is that typically for a 1.5 kHz XO point a 12" is required. For use with a 10" then, a wider horn pattern is required, ergo either a closer listening distance or possibly more boundary damping will be required between the speaker/listening position and between the speakers themselves for good imaging, etc..

GM

Is there any MLTLs for this thing set up?

I see in Thorstens Afterburner project that he uses a short, squat box tuned to 40Hz. Its 75x48x30 cm which is close to golden ratio. If you wanted to get this up to ear height, would it be best to use a golden ratio box with a false bottom or stand? Or could one use a box with these dimensions: 4.47x18.9x57.9 inches? They have the same volume which is 80 liters or 2.83 cu ft but the later is shaped more like a MLTL. Thorsten said to use the 18.9 inches for proper wave launch and I chose 4.47 inches deep because thats how deep the speaker is, so it should be braced against the back wall.

Any thoughts?

>>> Like any horn/point source combo, the horn's polar response dictates the size of the point source driver, so without any data about all I can say is that typically for a 1.5 kHz XO point a 12" is required. For use with a 10" then, a wider horn pattern is required, ergo either a closer listening distance or possibly more boundary damping will be required between the speaker/listening position and between the speakers themselves for good imaging, etc..

Thanks for your input GM. Damn crossovers! I thought i was done with them a few years ago... coming back to haunt me again. I guess i have to choose to futz with them again or nix the idea altogether.

Godzilla

davidallancole said:

Is there any MLTLs for this thing set up?

I've calculated a number of alignments including MLTLs for various folks based on different factory and measured specs over time.

Since the measured specs calc a larger cab I prefer to use them. Average of (2) units:

Fs 53.38
Re 7.3
Qms 5.17
Qes .66
Qts .59
Vas 92.19l
Sd 530.93
dB 95.33
Bl 11.96 T/M (10.5933/10.5189 calc'd)

Anyway, with these specs and your dims I get a ~37.66" i.d. from bottom driver position and a fairly under-damped, bass-shy alignment that will require quite a bit of stuffing to quell its ragged response, negating much of what little gain it has:

GM

Attachments

• eminence beta 12 lta (measured) mltl (davidallancole).gif
    eminence beta 12 lta (measured) mltl (davidallancole).gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 659
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.