Elna Silmic II or Elna Cerafine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not a big fan of Silmic 2, they sound a bit too soft and cuddly. Nichicon FW sound much more neutral to my ears.
Nichicon KZ sound quite similar to a film caps, but that can be a bad thing because they sound too bright In the upper midrange In two of my amps and one of my dacs (As do all film caps I've tried).

Recently opened up a refurb'd unit and was somewhat surprised at early signs of stress in
Nichicon KZ's in psu. Have switched to the following,
Main filters; Nichicon KW, KG, UCC-SMH
Psu Nichicon PW and EP
Audio path, Elna Silmic II/Nichicon KZ, ES
Low Noise/leakage Nichicon KL

I dislike them too - it's a mystery to me why so many like them. Everywhere I've used them the sound has lost fine detail, and 'bite'. A sort of air-brushed presentation to the music. Lack of musical involvement. Far prefer the Cerafine caps, particularly the current versions.
Cerafine have more bite but they sound harsh (there is a subtle harshness in highs) but they are good in some places like Silmic 2 are good in other places .
Nichicon KZ and FG are also very good to be mixed with Elnas.
The problem is how you mix them ,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.